Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Default i made a turn raise, derrrr

Both opponents were unknown. Guy c/r the flop, I need some advice man I am losing so much $.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $2.
UTG (poster) checks, MP1 calls, Hero raises , 2 folds, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG folds, MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks,MP1 bets, Hero raises??
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: i made a turn raise, derrrr

you don't even have a spade, what is your reasoning for raising?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM

I think this is fine in a four way field.

The check-raiser may well have a weaker K, or maybe a two pair hand against which we have a number of outs.

There are players behind us who have hands we'd probably like to fold.

Our hand is good enough to merit putting in 2 more big bets.

We can fold easily to a raise.

We have the option of taking a free showdown.

We extract max value from big one-card flush draws.

Seems all right to me.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I figured I might have the flop c/r'er beat or make him think I have the flush. I think this was an ill-advised raise but tell me why so.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I figured I might have the flop c/r'er beat or make him think I have the flush. I think this was an ill-advised raise but tell me why so.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that I think is for sure is that raising and taking a free showdown is almost certainly better than calling down the turn and the river.

I think the more important question is whether this hand deserves to have any more money go in once the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits. If the answer is "yes," I'm pretty sure I like a raise better.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that I think is for sure is that raising and taking a free showdown is almost certainly better than calling down the turn and the river.

I think the more important question is whether this hand deserves to have any more money go in once the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits. If the answer is "yes," I'm pretty sure I like a raise better.

[/ QUOTE ]
ya i dont like calling at all, but I might like folding. The guy c/r for value, and a big draw hit, i dont think my crappy TP is good or even has outs. anyway i forget to tell you my plan was to take a free showdown, which i did.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:06 PM

I guess I can see it as a free-showdown raise that puts pressure on SB.

However, there is a really good chance you're behind versus MP1. You're almost specifically hoping he has KT (or that he's a king-rag player or a LAG).

In any event, though, it's a difficult situation. I think KJs is my least favorite hand that I routinely raise with, because I have a hard time figuring out what to do when I flop a king and get played back at.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, there is a really good chance you're behind versus MP1. You're almost specifically hoping he has KT (or that he's a king-rag player or a LAG).

In any event, though, it's a difficult situation. I think KJs is my least favorite that I routinely raise with, because I have a hard time figuring out what to do when I have top pair and get played back at.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it the more I think that folding this turn really can't be that bad at all. The turn card is really pretty bad. Raising is the best way to get to showdown, though, in my opinion.

I'd really like a read here. Barring that, I'm starting to agree that we're looking pretty specifically for KT and so a turn fold is probably good.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In any event, though, it's a difficult situation. I think KJs is my least favorite that I routinely raise with, because I have a hard time figuring out what to do when I have top pair and get played back at.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about it the more I think that folding this turn really can't be that bad at all. The turn card is really pretty bad. Raising is the best way to get to showdown, though, in my opinion.

I'd really like a read here. Barring that, I'm starting to agree that we're looking pretty specifically for KT and so a turn fold is probably good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another KJ (which could be freerolling against us) is possible as well, but it's still an uncomfortable situation.

There is some chance too that SB just made his hand and is lining up a checkraise.

What I'd probably really do is meekly start calling down, because I have trouble figuring out when to make showdown raises and I'm not good at laying down top pair to what amounts to a single flop checkraise. But I don't like any of my options on the turn, really, and I do wonder if folding is best.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In any event, though, it's a difficult situation. I think KJs is my least favorite hand that I routinely raise with, because I have a hard time figuring out what to do when I flop a king and get played back at.

[/ QUOTE ]
so r u saying i should have limped pf?