Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Knicks get Eddy Curry

Getting Lebron is a pipe dream for the Knicks. They clearly won't be under the cap, so a trade is the only way it happens. That isn't likely since the Cavs would basically have to agree to do it. Sign and trades generally happen when the original team doesn't want to pay -- Kmart -- the player is very unhappy and making huge salary demands -- Shaq -- or extenuating circumstances a la Curry.

Fun stat on the Knicks center postion. Knicks 2 centers (Curry and James) combined for 8.4 rebounds in 45.5 minutes last year.

Dan Gadzuric went for 8.3 rebounds in 22 minutes last year.

James actually averaged more fouls than rebounds last year while Curry would have ranked #12 in rebounds per game amongst shooting guards.

Here is Jerome Curry's stat line 45.3 minutes

The good....

21 points
52.5% FG
72% FT
2.31 BPG

The bad....

.62 SPG
3.7 TO's

The awful....

8.4 RPG
0.8 APG
6.7 PF
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 PM

You're forgetting his one good playoff series, which totally warranted a big contract, despite years of mediocrity.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 PM

I really wanted Gadzuric. Good post.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Isiahs biggest mistake to date was only signing Ariza to a two year deal)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], I did not know this. This just ruined my day.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're forgetting his one good playoff series, which totally warranted a big contract, despite years of mediocrity.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a few moments yesterday I thought Jermaine Jackson was Jerome James and was very happy...
Old 10-04-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not Thomas' choice to sign him to a 2 tear deal. All NBA draft picks have preset deals coming out of the draft depending on where they were picked. First round picks have three year deals, second round picks have two year deals (this is what screwed the warriors with gilbert arenas, who was drafted in the second round). This is definitely the way it was under the old cba, im not sure about the new one
Old 10-04-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the nba cap, what u need to know is that if you are over the cap u can only sign free agents from your own team, or use the mid-level exemption which is an amount of money determined by the average salary of the league. You can also do a sign and trade, but the knicks have no where near enough to trade for Lebron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible to just sign him as a FA (and not trade for him)? I just think it would make sense for the Knicks to ensure they are under the cap the year he becomes a FA so we can at least have a shot at signing him.

Obviously if we have to trade for him we have no chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. The Heat traded for Shaq. Sign and trades happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but the Knicks don't have any talent to do a sign and trade for a player like Lebron, so our only chance is FA signing, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Often an expiring contract + draft picks is enough, look at what the Lakers got for Shaq (Butler/Odom and Grant); or what Denver gave up for New Jersey (3 picks). It's not that unreasonable to believe, that Mo Taylor(for the $$ expiring contract), Trevor Ariza/Robinson/Lee/Frye (whichever young kid(s) ends up being good) and a few #1s would be more then enough. Knicks take Lebron and whatever garbage cleveland makes us take (I bet Ilgouskas will be almost crippled by 2007)

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true except for two factors. 1. by 2007 Lebron could be the best player in the league and 2. More importantly the owner of the Cavs would have to be insane to let his team trade Lebron because Lebron is worth so much to the team marketing wise. If they lose Lebron, they are automatically rebuilding and they lose a large portion of their fan base.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM

I think it's going to depend very heavily on what Lebron wants to do. There have been a lot of stars in the past who would make you say that the owner would have to be insane to let them go, but they demand a trade and they're gone. Shaq, Joe Johnson, and Vince Carter are examples. If they know they're going to end up losing him anyway the following year, they have to scramble to get as much for him as they can while they still have a chance, or end up with nothing.

For the next two years, it's really all about making Lebron happy enough to stay there. They seem to be on the right track, but a front office melt down like last year's, or some unforseen problems, and Lebron will be asking out, and they won't really have much chance other. Who knows what he wants? The extra 20 million that the Cavs can offer him as a RFA will play a role as well.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:09 PM

doesnt matter how the team looks now from2 years ago. they still suck and are expensive

instead of old,shitty,expensive they are young shitty expensive

and marbury isnt that good
Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not Thomas' choice to sign him to a 2 tear deal. All NBA draft picks have preset deals coming out of the draft depending on where they were picked. First round picks have three year deals, second round picks have two year deals (this is what screwed the warriors with gilbert arenas, who was drafted in the second round). This is definitely the way it was under the old cba, im not sure about the new one

[/ QUOTE ]

Second rounders can get 3 years. See Carlos Boozer.