Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 AM

Default 10/20 flop play

good live game, i have AKo in the small blind.

MP not good player opens, guy behind him who is dumb aggressive and has 3 bet me before in a similar spot with KTs 3-bets, I call in the SB, tight BB folds, MP calls.

Flop comes K72 rainbow.

Do we like betting to three bet or check-raising?

As far as reads go, I'm 100% certian dumb aggro guy will bet if checked to, but maybe about 65% certain he'll raise if the flop goes bet-call.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: 10/20 flop play

I c/r looking to cap against the LAG monkey.

And these statements aren't consistent....
[ QUOTE ]
guy behind him who is dumb aggressive and has 3 bet me before in a similar spot with KTs 3-bets,

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call in the SB

[/ QUOTE ]
why no cap?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:16 AM

I like betting the flop. I think it's worth it to give the guy who opened pre-flop the chance to call one cold. Basically, we get 2 SB in if it goes bet-call-call, and often only get in 2 bets if it goes check-check-bet-raise, but betting out makes it more likely to get more in if we three-bet. So if we get raised on the flop 65% of the time I think that's plenty to make raising a better proposition than check-raising.

In general I've long thought the question of calling a three-bet vs. capping with AKo in the SB to be pretty unimportant, kind of akin to the decision whether to limp or open-raise KJs in EP. In this situation, though, the donkishness of the pre-flop three-bettor does definitiely throw me in favor of a cap, though.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why no cap?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how right this is, but I don't always cap AKo, esp OOP. Mostly I do, but here I didn't. I thought I'd have the option of betting or checking should I like the flop. I thought that option, plus leaving dumb aggro with the lead would be worth more in terms of post-flop expectation than the 1 BB I risk by not capping pre-flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general I've long thought the question of calling a three-bet vs. capping with AKo in the SB to be pretty unimportant, kind of akin to the decision whether to limp or open-raise KJs in EP. In this situation, though, the donkishness of the pre-flop three-bettor does definitiely throw me in favor of a cap, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the decision as to whether or not to cap/3-bet in the sb hinges on our flop plan should we hit. I sort of thought I'd check-raise the flop if I liked it, hence the call. If I cap, I'd lead nearly all flops (its a leak and I'm tyring to mix up my play a bit more). If I check-raise after calling pre-flop, and he has a worse king (or lots of other hands) he's not going to stop pushing it if the pot is HU.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 AM

I like a stop and go.

Bet the flop, call the LAGs raise. Bet/3bet the turn.

Hopefully you catch MP for extra bets on both streets and sting the LAG for big money in the process.

I think a c/r would unnecessarily fold MP.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Betting not to three-bet the flop is way too risky and unlikely to work. While the LAG won't have much problem raising a flop bet that's been called, the liklihood that he'll raise both the flop and the turn isn't very high at all. If I bet the flop, its to three-bet.

RE: betting the flop, I struggle with whether or not I want to tie players to a pot with a one pair hand. My c/r assures me that MP will fold middle pair or something like that. But he's more likely to call two bets if he's already got one in. I guess this is about the safest flop for a one pair hand that I could hope for, so I think betting to three bet the flop would have been the right play.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:55 AM

i like a bet-3-bet here.

though if your flop checkraises have been looking weak go ahead and do that and then really eff with him on the turn.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 AM

I like bet, it would be sweet to have MP come along for the ride in a hand where you are probably a huge favorite anyways.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:48 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

bet/3bet is certainly the right play.