Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Phillips\' wonder drug (also posted on WPT forum)

The problem with this drug is:

[ QUOTE ]
The exact pharmacology of this drug is really unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dont know how it works, you dont know what else it does.

Also, if you do not have one of the conditions these drugs effectively treat, you may just be speeding, euphoric and ruining your sleep patterns, without any improvement in cognitive filtering, prioritizing, or attention (or bankroll).

Anything that mimics a sympathetic amine in any way may, in a few individuals, predispose to cardiac rhythm disturbances or coronary insufficiency, not something you'd want to risk in search of an extra tenth of a BB/hour.

A safer alternative for me (albeit modestly helpful), is arginine. There is a small amount in Red Bull and suchlike, but I have found a supplement company that produces a BIG dose.

Arginine does not directly help you stay awake, but I thoroughly believe that it helps me with attention and concentration. Nice during those late night multis.

Fire away. I do not have a medical degree.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:37 PM

It's not .1 extra BBs/hour. It's a few extra hours/day when you take this stuff.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am double board certified in both internal medicine, as well as hospice and palliative care

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: This guy knows his dope. I encourage a new thread by board certified physicians along with psychiatrists and pharmacological chemists who will make the list of Ultimate Poker Drugs. All research associates from major drug companies are encouraged to participate, especially those with patent ownership. Please use both the trademark name of the drugs as well as their pharmacological descriptions as some local drug stores cannot read my fake handwriting. Many thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm skeptical of any wonder drug, but the more I read about this stuff, the more I think it could help me.

[/ QUOTE ]

All drugs have side effects. I think a better way to improve focus long term is to stay healthy, get enough sleep, exercise, don't do drugs, etc., etc. Eventually drugs will catch up with you.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM

Just to clarify, I wasn't specifically talking about Modafinil helping me with poker when I wrote this post.

I was, and still am, very curious about the drug, and thought this would be a very good place to get some honest answers from people who've used it. Phillips' endorsement simply gave me a reason to start the discussion.

I am not a drug addict. I am not a speed freak. I have often wondered if I have some sort of sleep disorder that affects my mood, my motivation and my ability to focus. I can't go to sleep immediately. Once I do, it's very difficult for me to wake up, even after a good night of sleep. It's not unusual for me to sleep 12-14 hours, meaning I rarely have a normal sleep schedule. All my life, I've written that off to laziness, although I loathe the lazy side of myself and fight it at every turn.

I appreciate everyone's response. Please know, however, that I'm not some naive kid who wants a Magic Poker Pill.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify, I wasn't specifically talking about Modafinil helping me with poker when I wrote this post.

I was, and still am, very curious about the drug, and thought this would be a very good place to get some honest answers from people who've used it. Phillips' endorsement simply gave me a reason to start the discussion.

I am not a drug addict. I am not a speed freak. I have often wondered if I have some sort of sleep disorder that affects my mood, my motivation and my ability to focus. I can't go to sleep immediately. Once I do, it's very difficult for me to wake up, even after a good night of sleep. It's not unusual for me to sleep 12-14 hours, meaning I rarely have a normal sleep schedule. All my life, I've written that off to laziness, although I loathe the lazy side of myself and fight it at every turn.

I appreciate everyone's response. Please know, however, that I'm not some naive kid who wants a Magic Poker Pill.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a course on sleep cycles. Turns out that humans naturally sleep for a long time (12-14 hours qualifies) a little less than once a week, if there is no system that wakes them up (i.e. no alarm clock in a dark room). So that is natural.

If you are sleeping that long on a regular basis (more that once a week) - you should look into it. The only time in my life when I slept for a long time several nights a week was in my "partying" stage of life. Also, bad diet and lack of exercise doesn't help.

-ptmusic
Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 AM

I find it fascinating that if you mention Paul Phillips' name anywhere on the internet, he magically appears. I often wonder, "If I became famous, will I search internet forums for mention of my name?"

I might but it's kind of creepy.

Try it. Start a thread in "Sports Betting," put PP's name in the title and say something about one of his recent blog posts and he will pop up.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it fascinating that if you mention Paul Phillips' name anywhere on the internet, he magically appears. I often wonder, "If I became famous, will I search internet forums for mention of my name?"

I might but it's kind of creepy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kibozing is as old as time itself. In my case it's heavily scripted so the effort expenditure is small.

And yes it's creepy.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 PM

I am not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Couldn't resist. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]