Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Default 2 big pairs on monosuited flop hands

Villain's are both more or less unknown to me. I have some datamined stats on the villain in hand 1 that have him at about 35/3 so his preflop reraise is definitely a legitimate hand. The villain in the other hand is a complete unknown as I've been at the table for just one orbit.

Hand 1

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Button ($223)
SB ($459.15)
BB ($282.40)
Hero ($243.70)
MP ($205.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $25</font>, Hero calls $17.

Flop: ($51) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $90</font>, BB raises to $222.40 (All-In), Hero calls $128.70 (All-In)

Hand 2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($402.15)
UTG ($373.65)
Hero ($236)
Button ($245.80)
SB ($260.90)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $30</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $22.

Flop: ($62) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $55</font>, Hero raises to $206 (All-In)
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: 2 big pairs on monosuited flop hands

hand 1 i flat call the flop

hand 2, i wouldnt raise there. i dont think hes folding.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 i flat call the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

If I do that and another diamond hits I will cry.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM

hand 1 is goot.

if villain's reraise in hand 2 indicates AK/AA-JJ then you are losing value from QQ/JJ no club which fold in a heartbeat. you fold out KK which you are freerolling and AA/AK probably call you in a heartbeat. i'd let him commit himself on the turn before waking up.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM

hand 1 I think this is grand, plays itself really. He probably has a big pair, and best to get as much money as possible in now in case he doesn't have a diamond with his pair because a forth diamond will kill your action. The way it panned out it looks like he has a big pair with a diamond.

Hand 2 Hmmm that's a horrible spot. Against unknowns I probably over-respect those re-raises from the SB and under-respect the general postflop play at $200NL. Meaning, I interpret his re-raise to mean AA, KK, AK and possibly QQ (my over-respecting). That means at best he's only ahead 9 / 16 times. I'd push here if that means he'll fold the 6 AK combinations, unfortunately I think a large chunk of the $200NL players* will call here with AK (my under-respecting). I'd probably treat it as a drawing hand with no fold equity...

* I'm unsure about this for typical $200NL players, if the majority of replies feel that a typical player will fold AK here, then I think your push is good.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Replies jive with what I thought. Hand 1 basically plays itself. Turn was a Qd river was some brick and my flush beat villains AxKd flush (isn't it great when someone 3bets you drawing dead to runner runner?). On hand 2, as soon as I pushed I wanted to vomit. There are no worse hands that call and no better hands that fold so pushing is absolutely retarded. Villain there had AA, I failed to make my flush and top set held up.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:59 PM

hand 1 is easy....his reraise would at worst mean AK i'd think, and since you have the A of diamonds you know he doesn't have the flush, and at best is drawing at the second nuts. I think it's likely villain has KK or QQ with a diamond and you have them drawing virtually dead to 2 outs at the most, and quite likely 1 out.

Hand 2 - this is stickier. His reraise again signifies a big hand. AA, AK or QQ probably are the most likely. I don't think you are folding AA or AK out here and are basically drawing at the flush...and you are likely going to fold out QQ which you are ahead of.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:03 PM

Any reason to not 3-bet preflop in hand 2? In 6-max, I'm perfectly happy to get it all in with KK preflop.

Tough spot on the flop there.

Hand 1 plays itself. Nice trap preflop.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM

If its not multiway, I almost never 3bet anything preflop. When I do, its because I know the opponent to be reraising light and I have a good chance of dominating his range (and, obviously, getting called by those hands I'm crushing). If I raise, somebody calls, and there's a reraise, I'm much more likely to 3bet to not encourage the 3rd man to overcall the reraise (and put me in the lousy position of being stuck between the reraiser and someone who could have almost anything).
Old 08-24-2005, 07:03 PM

i like how you played hand1. clearly based on your info, you look in absolutely superb shape on the flop

hand2, i've got a bad feeling you ran into a set of A's and were called? maybe you got an AK or a QxQc to fold?