Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM

Default flush with paired board, river decision

Excuse the hand editing, convertor is down.

400 NL, $4 BB, 5 handed.

I have $613, am just covered by my opponent.

Opponent (LAG) is very loose preflop, aggressively bets most flops, but able to laydown when facing resistance. PT stats are VPIP: 78, PFR: 32, WTSD: 23.

I get AKhh UTG and open for $16, LAG (SB) is only caller.

Flop: Qh Qc 8h ($36)

LAG checks, I bet $20, LAG minraises, I call.

Turn Qh Qc 8h Th ($116)

LAG leads out for $120.

At this point I put him on FH, naked Q possibly with heart kicker, or made lower flush. There are quite a few hands that beat me including a staight flush, quads and 4 possible FHs. But with the nut flush I can't find a fold here. Raising invites him to get away from the hands I beat so I call.

River: Qh Qc 8h Th 5d ($356)

LAG leads for $300, I have $437 left ($137 if I call the bet).

Obviously the river is a brick, however his continued betting on this street makes me more inclined to believe he has a FH. Although he is extremely loose preflop, and aggressive on the flop, he has shown the ability to give up before getting to involved if he has nothing. Of course he might still think a Q is good, and he might also still think a made (J high at best) flush is good.

What do you do?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: flush with paired board, river decision

I think you should raise the flop or fold, although I lean towards folding. Calling just leaves you out of $20 still not knowing where the hell you are, and in any event the CR almost always indicates at least a queen.

How tight are you preflop? If you raise a narrow enough range of hands, it is easy for him to put you on a hand other than a full house; a stubborn AA or KK with a heart for example. He may also rightly assume that he has a good enough chance of blowing you off a flush that making that river bet with a naked queen (which is his mostly likely holding IMO) becomes correct. 88 is the only hand I'm really worried about in this spot, although it seems strange for him to try to scare you off with the flop CR, which would be a very unusual play for TT and 55 as well. I call this all day.