Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2004, 10:30 AM

Default What would you do?

There are 13 people left in the tourney, top 4 get paid. Blinds are 1000-2000. You have approximately 30,000T.

UTG+1 you are dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG raises to 6000

You ??????

Results to follow
Old 09-30-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: What would you do?

How much does UTG have left? Unless it is a small amount, say 5 or 6000, I am leaning toward fold.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:40 AM

I am going to need more information. What are the stack sizes? How long till the blinds go up? How steep is the payout structure? How have your opponents played?
Old 09-30-2004, 11:27 AM

UTG has almost identical stack as you.

The table is fairly typical; a couple of LAG's, a couple of TAG's, one or two passive players. In general, all are solid players.

No one has a dominant stack. Blinds will increase in ten minutes to 2000-4000, and double every twenty minutes thereafter. Payout is 50% to win, 30% for second, 20% for third, fourth gets $50. (I realize the percentages would have to change a little for this extra $50).

Please keep the comments coming!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:02 PM

very player dependent. Some players won't raise UTG w/ less than JJ-AA/AK maybe AQ.

Some will do it w/ JTs.

You really have to narrow his range to find out what you should do.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:58 PM

In general they are solid players - from what I have seen in these situations you are usually up against a very similar hand or 88,99. Do you want a coin flip right now? I don't. But I'm a tight player in this spot.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 PM

With the whole table yet to act, this is a guaranteed fold for me. I'd have to put him on 99-AA or AK. Even if I knew the rest of the table would fold and watch the show, I couldn't call this. AQ is just too vulnerable.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Default The decision

Being a below average player, I re-raised to a total of 16,000T. My thoughts were: He probably has 66-AA or AK outside shot AQ. This player is solid, but has shown a tendency to be a LAG. I thought I could push him off 66-maybe JJ and quite possibly AK and AQ.

After my raise, he exhibited his major tell and then I knew he had J's or better. He called.

The Flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks.

What do you do??
Old 09-30-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: The decision

[ QUOTE ]
After my raise, he exhibited his major tell and then I knew he had J's or better. He called.

The Flop is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks.

What do you do??

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty obvious. You know he has JJ-AA, so you check. You get a free card for your nut flush. If you move all in he'll call with his JJ-AA and you could lose all your chips.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: The decision

I would check and hope you hit the flush on the turn. I definately wouldn't bet into him if you're pretty sure he's got JJ-AA.