Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Please review this hand!!!!

Opponent who lost commented that this was a weak play.
All comments appreciated!!

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

UTG ($15)
MP ($92.95)
CO ($28.85)
Button ($24.25)
SB ($12)
Hero ($9)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, MP folds, CO raises to $1, Button calls $1, SB folds, Hero raises to $2, UTG calls $1.50, CO calls $1, Button calls $1.

Flop: ($8.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($16.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, CO calls $2, Button raises to $20.25 (All-In), Hero calls $3 (All-In), UTG folds, CO folds.

River: ($45.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $45.50

Results in white below:

<font color="white">Pot won by hero. Button shows 10s10h </font>
Old 05-28-2004, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Please review this hand!!!!

Yes it was weak, you need to protect your hand better. You should post this in the PL/NL forum.

Pre-flop: Raise to Pot ($3-$4)
Flop: Dump in the rest of your stack.

Why do people feel compelled to point out mistakes made by opponents at the table online? *sigh*
Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it was weak, you need to protect your hand better. You should post this in the PL/NL forum.

Pre-flop: Raise to Pot ($3-$4)
Flop: Dump in the rest of your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply!

If I follow that logic, would I still get the four bets from the other two callers? I don't think I would, I and still got the all-in from the button.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:42 AM

Preflop: If you're going to raise, raise by more than $1

Flop: By betting $2 into an $8 pot, you're giving your opponents 5:1 odds to call your bet. That's fine when you've got the nuts, but a pair of jacks is a pretty weak holding to keep giving away cheap cards. In this particular case any A, K, Q, 10, 7, club or even a J is going to be a scare card (to varying degrees) for you so you really don't want people sticking around too long here.

You're already a short stack at this table, raise all-in preflop or on the flop, you'll get called by the 10,10 hand and will double-up with much less risk.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people feel compelled to point out mistakes made by opponents at the table online? *sigh*

[/ QUOTE ]

If the quote was made by the button, then it could be out of frustration (frustrated that the hero didn't give an indication that he had anything going)... Could also be one of those "know it alls" who wants to gain a good table image by conveying to everyone that they know something...

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 05-28-2004, 12:04 PM

T-pimp,

[ QUOTE ]
If I follow that logic, would I still get the four bets from the other two callers? I don't think I would, I and still got the all-in from the button.

[/ QUOTE ]
The point being made wasn't that you didn't get the most out of it (which you clearly did). It was that your hand was very vulnerable due to the texture of the board, as well as you taking the risk of letting someone with overcards come in cheaply.

So, from a RESULTS standpoint, this turned out great. From a THEORETICAL/MATHEMATICAL standpoint, you were fortunate to escape without losing the pot (and your entire stack).

eh923
Old 05-28-2004, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the perspective. After reading your comments, I understand the "weak" comment. Being shortstacked, I probably was trying to be too cute and draw in more bets. I was going all-in on this hand no matter what, due to frustration and the late hour. I have to admit that I would have played this different in a NL game. The preflop and flop bets would have been significantly different.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I hope to become a better player for it!
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM

The worst play you made in that hand (and it was pretty bad) was starting it with $9 instead of refilling.