Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 10:39 AM

Default Please review this hand!!!

Opponent who lost commented that this was a weak play.
All comments appreciated!!

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

UTG ($15)
MP ($92.95)
CO ($28.85)
Button ($24.25)
SB ($12)
Hero ($9)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, MP folds, CO raises to $1, Button calls $1, SB folds, Hero raises to $2, UTG calls $1.50, CO calls $1, Button calls $1.

Flop: ($8.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, CO calls $2, Button calls $2.

Turn: ($16.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
Hero bets $2, UTG calls $2, CO calls $2, Button raises to $20.25 (All-In), Hero calls $3 (All-In), UTG folds, CO folds.

River: ($45.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $45.50

Results in white below:

<font color="white">Pot won by hero. Button shows 10s10h </font>
Old 05-28-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Please review this hand!!!

your opponent was right. very weak play...but you got the money in, just waited too long and you weren't the one putting it in.

$2 raise from the bb into that pot...why not just check? really rediculous to raise like that...i'd pot it for around 15 or whatever that would be.

its shorthanded...if anyone has a pair they'll play with you...

flop: pretty damn good flop for your hand and a $2 bet is rediculously small...are you TRYING to get picked off? giving any straight (gutshot even)and flush both straight AND implied odds to hit? bet the pot on the flop. if somebody smooth calls, THEN you can be worried a bit about a 9..but until then bet the pot.

on the turn i'd again bet way more than $2...its like not betting at all except youre only adding small increments to a pot which you can be raised...silliness

-Barron
Old 05-28-2004, 11:11 AM

The problem is his stack is only $9, which I'm guessing what caused all the timid betting. Once you're down that low, I'd rebuy just for these situations. You want to be able to pot the flop with JJ and a flop like that. The raise from the BB for $2 is foolish as you're likely to get everyone to call you and once the first person does several late position people probably have the implied odds to call with a range of hands.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:29 AM

good point...$9 stack move in preflop
-Barron
Old 05-28-2004, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the perspective. After reading your comments, I understand the "weak" comment. Being shortstacked, I probably was trying to be too cute and draw in more bets. I was going all-in on this hand no matter what, due to frustration and the late hour. I have to admit that I would have played this different in a NL game. The preflop and flop bets would have been significantly different.

Thanks to all for the feedback. I hope to become a better player for it!