Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Vegas Neighborhoods info?

Can anyone tell me which Vegas neighborhoods are safest to live in? 25yo single male looking to relocate to the entertainment capital... I can pay up to $1000/mo but would prefer a little less. Also I would like to be able to get to and from the poker rooms easily (and safely).

I have just heard that some areas of vegas are not safe - and I'm trying to drive out there with a general plan.

Thanks a lot - dusseldorf (no, I'm really not from Germany [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )
Old 06-03-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Vegas Neighborhoods info?

Ther are a lot of safe area if you got any where in mind be happy to share some info with you.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:19 AM

TYVM. Here are a few areas I've considered:

1) nearby UNLV
2) The Lakes (Durango dr. and Starboard dr., specifically)
3) Summerlin
4) generally, the areas very close to the strip
5) Henderson

I appreciate any advice. Vegas may not be as bad as I fear. Chicago was tricky - very segregated racially, and very tense.

I wouldn't mind a little social atmosphere where I live, but quiet is very important (and quiet seems to imply safety). Would you say it's a friendly atmosphere out there? I've only been to Reno and San Francisco, and only briefly.

TY again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2005, 06:23 AM

Summerlin: Good.
Henderson: Good.
North Las Vegas: Bad.
South Las Vegas: Bad.
East Las Vegas: Bad.
Southwest-by-northeast Las Vegas: Bad.
Inner Las Vegas North of Henderson and east of LA: Bad
West-by-northwest-toward-the-semi-easterly-western-longitudes Las Vegas: Bad.

Do you see a pattern, here? Unless you have mad cheese for the mousehole-sized upscale condos, I'd stay in the suburbs. The Lakes area is OK but it doesn't really exist. It's just a subdevelopment in the city. Summerlin tends to be the higher-falutin' of the suburbs but it's not horrible for your budget. You can definitely find a nice one bedroom apartment in Henderson (which is an actual city and not just an extension of Las Vegas) for well under $1,000/month. A nice two bedroom will run in the $800-$900 range. I pay in the $800s for an 1,100 square foot two bedroom apartment that's twenty minutes or less from just about any place on the strip or downtown.

SpaceAce
Old 06-03-2005, 06:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you say it's a friendly atmosphere out there? I've only been to Reno and San Francisco, and only briefly.

TY again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's particularly friendly or unfriendly. There are a lot of subdivisions that allow for old-time neighborhoods where people have yard sales and barbecues and such, which is nice if you're into that. Otherwise, the main differences I've noticed between here and other places I've lived is that the speed limits are all 45MPH+ and U-turns are encouraged.

SpaceAce
Old 06-03-2005, 06:32 AM

For a $1000 you can get a very nice place near the strip. I pay $555 for a one bedroom apartment in between UNLV and The Hard Rock. It's about 600 sqaure feet; nothing fancy but safe/adequate. I usually walk to The Strip and take a $6 cab back home.

You can get just about a block away from The Strip for under $1000 in some very nice complexes.