Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 07:56 PM

Default how to play with 2 overcards?

I am new to the poker scence. This is my first post of a hand I've played. I play in a really loose low limit home game. I held a QTo on the button. It was checked to me and I bet. Two players called. I put both of them on an ace or king with a baby. the flop came Q85 rainbow. I know these players will call all the way to the river with one overcard. I bet every round and the ace came up on the river. The first player bet and the other player folded, as did I. The bettor had the ace and a baby. Was I right to bet all the way even though I know they will call? What about if my opponents had two overcards instead of one?
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: how to play with 2 overcards?

You are correct to bet all the way whether they have one or two overcards. If they have only one overcard, even the dead money in the pot is very likely not enough to justify their calls. If they have two overcards and you check you're giving them free chances to get ahead. Might as well bet and charge them for their 6-out draws. Even if the pot is big and they're correct to call, you're getting positive expected value when they call your bets.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:54 PM

You have to bet to charge them for their draws, otherwise you are giving them a free chance to beat you. Having them call all the way is not that bad at all because this play has a good EV.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:01 PM

Was I right to bet all the way even though I know they will call? What about if my opponents had two overcards instead of one?

It is almost always correct in Texas Holdem to bet if you think that you have the best hand at the moment. The only exception is if you suspect that your opponent has such a big draw that he is the favorite to overtake you by the river. Basically, you will never be able to put your opponent on such a hand. So, to answer your question... if you think your hand is best at the moment, bet.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:00 AM

The fact that you know they will call is exactly the reason you should bet ... if one is holding AK he only has 6 outs to beat you and makes you a 3-1 favorite to win in a showdown. You want people to chase you here because for every time the catch you they will pay you off 3 times.

Also it's probably a bad idea to put people on hands so quickly. If people know you will put down top pair whenever they bet an overcard you will suddenly see people bluffing into you whenever this happens. In this case I think you need to check-call the river and hope for the best.