Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Hand Protection

Well, after taking a lengthy break from poker, I've decided to build my way back up through micro-limits. I figure this will give me the experience I need, since I've been away for so long. I now present to you this hand, and ask for your feedback.

Do you think I protected this hand well? I'm not sure if I missed a fair amount of value on the flop by not getting an extra bet out of each of the callers, however it worked to my advantage on the turn in terms of hand protection. Any input is appreciated.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB calls.

River: (16.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 18.20 BB

Might as well include my thought process while I'm at it. Since the BB bet out on the flop into a large field, my guess was that he'd be raising my turn bet if I bet into him. I passed on my flop value raise to attempt a turn protection bet. I'm not sure if I could have extracted more value or not though.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Hand Protection

Bet the flop.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:41 PM

Could you elaborate? I was going to CR; giving my opponents 11:1 on just my bet allows them to value call with pretty much anything. Is this a bet for value?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Going for a c/r when you were the last aggressor on the previous street is generally incorrect, especially on a pansy flop like that one. For that reason, you need to bet. The way you played it, if UTG is aggressive, you might consider raising and hope he pushes it to 3.

I don't know why you're 3-betting the turn; you've folded one opponent, another has already seen 2 cold, and UTG+1 isn't going anywhere. You can't protect, and it's probably not for value, given his aggro.

River is good.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Thank you for the input.

Alright. I've been having some trouble protecing my hand when I'm in an early position and I've flopped a top pair. I guess I should be less concerned with protection, and more concerned with value? I figured since our UTG villain was a rather agressive player, he could be betting a lone jack, which is why I three-bet.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think I protected this hand well?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I also don't know what you were trying to protect it FROM. A flush draw? There's no protecting against that with 5 players seeing the flop in a raised pot.

Bet/3-bet the flop...you were the preflop raiser! Nothing would be worse protection than having this flop check through, giving flushes, gutshots and UI overcards a free shot at you.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Bet the flop. Every time. This is an easy value bet, and you have to make it.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:59 AM

I was thinking a lone pair, as well as other hands which wouldn't call two cold on the turn, but would call a few more on the flop.

I do realize now that I missed alot of value on the flop.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:23 AM

Preflop was good.

As said before, you have to be that flop. You were the aggressor pre-flop. If it checks through, you are giving infite odds to any K or Q to try to beat you. Gutshots get infinite odds also. The flush draw isn't going anywhere, so you have to extract value before the flush card comes. How many bets is the flush draw going to put in after the river card is a blank? None.

Bet/3-bet the flop.

I don't mind the 3-bet on the turn on that blank of a turn card. Though, if he caps, I'm going to have to check/call any non-heart river and expect to lose.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 AM

Dont understand why you didnt bet the flop.