Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM

Default 150/300 hand

Stox raises on the button. I call in teh SB with JTs, bb is lager and he's pretty solid for those who don't know him. He's kinda the pounding/semi-lag type but not a crazy. He sat down recently so nothing with him has really happened today.

He calls too.

Flop J75r

I check, lager checks, stox bets, I raise, lagger 3 bets, stox folds, I call.

Turn 2

I check, he bets, I raise, he calls.

River 7

I check planning on calling.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: 150/300 hand

with you and lager in the blinds, dont you think stox is raising a bit lighter than normal?

id 3bet JTs here to get lager OUT of the pot. he'll call with a lot here getting 5:1 and you dont want that. also, by 3betting, you will likely take the pot on the flop or turn w/ a bet due to stox's (possibly) perception of the tightness of the blinds that he is larcening.

as to the rest of the hand, flop is what id do (sometimes) turn/river combo is interesting though. you check raised the turn and checked the river. i think i see why you did that and it makes sense (kicker + raise possibility) but did you plan on folding to a 3bet on the turn? does he call turn checkraises to raise rivers w/ great hands? if so then i definately like your line but if he indeed bets here id say you're good a lot less than if you bet and he called....buuuuuuuuuut, calling the bet as less of a fav may be better than (more EV) than betting and having him call but also open up the possibility to a raise.

PS- these two recent posts about river play have just reinforced the concept that the river is now where the money is.

Barron
Old 12-19-2005, 04:03 PM

and the question is?

1. why didn't you 3-bet preflop - presume you'd prefer it if lager wasn't coming along? isn't this a big leak?
2. flop seems standard
3. turn raise seems light but against lager maybe it's worth trying to push him off 88/99/A7/K7
4. yes, c-c probably best.

my 2 cents [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Yeah soemtimes I call here sometimes I 3 bet. If my image really sucks and for some reason I haven't quit I'll fold but we're usually we're raising and sometimes we're calling.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:07 PM

I've never played with lager, but knowing that everyone says he is very aggro, I like this line a lot. Lots of things he could be three betting the flop with given the read on him. Turn play is great, but what are you doing if he three bets you here? Seems like if you get three bet he has to have at least two pair unless he really is that aggro. I like the river check call, by this point he isn't folding anything that you beat, and you certainly don't want to pay two bets to see a showdown IMHO. Nice hand BK.

Scags
Old 12-19-2005, 04:28 PM

I'm kinda curious about his tendencies here...would he bluff 89 of 46 on this river? Would he check behind something like J8?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Someone, please explain why BK should checkraise the turn.

He checkraised the flop and then this Lager guy - a "pretty solid player" - 3 bets him on a J75 rainbow flop.

I certainly ain't going to be confident enough with JT to checkraise the turn particularly when it is a deuce because he will know that the card didn't hit BK. When BK checkraises the turn, his hand is most likely still 1 pair and he should know that. He therefore ain't dropping say A7. Worse, he might 3 bet and BK might fold. He certainly ain't dropping a Jack and if he has a Jack, chances are that his kicker is better than a Ten (i.e. he might have called preflop with J9 or J8 but probably not J6 and worse. He of course calls with JQ,JK, and JA).

Bk's hand is good enough for a showdown but I see no resaon to checkraise the turn other than simply trying to be aggressive without a purpose.

If BK wanted to maintain the riole of the aggressor, it's better to 4 bet the flop and follow up with a turn bet than it is to play possum on the flop and then come to life with a turn chcekraise.

If it turns out that BK's checkcall on the turn leads to the river going check check and BK wins...well, I wouldn't rue missing out on a raise on the turn. BK's hand and position simply dictated that result.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM

Talk about your turn thoughts
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda curious about his tendencies here...would he bluff 89 of 46 on this river? Would he check behind something like J8?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt he has a draw, wouldn't he want to keep stox in the pot if he did?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 PM

skp you rock.

4-bet flop, or don't and call down.