Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Logic, Math, and Politics

I curious to know what people in this forum have to say about a recent discussion in the politics forum.

Liberals are regularly criticized for not having any fundamental principals. In contrast, conservatives have an ideological viewpoint that is based in moral absolutes. Conservatives know what they want while liberals are constantly changing their position based on circumstance.

Let’s apply this logic to math class. I love the number 5. It’s always been my favorite number, ever since I was a little kid. How would I do in a math class where I refused to consider any answer but 5?

Is there any flaw in my logic that I’m not seeing?
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Logic, Math, and Politics

[ QUOTE ]
I curious to know what people in this forum have to say about a recent discussion in the politics forum.

Liberals are regularly criticized for not having any fundamental principals. In contrast, conservatives have an ideological viewpoint that is based in moral absolutes. Conservatives know what they want while liberals are constantly changing their position based on circumstance.

Let’s apply this logic to math class. I love the number 5. It’s always been my favorite number, ever since I was a little kid. How would I do in a math class where I refused to consider any answer but 5?

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't presented any logical argument so there is no flaw to find. You made one statement and then posed a question. I don't think I am missing anything!
Old 12-14-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more liberal than conservative... but I think a good balance is best: change for progress, but cautiously for safety. Liberals seem to embrace change and diversity, conservatives embrace stability & uniformity. Too liberal becomes chaos. Too conservative becomes stagnant.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

How does something become too liberal? By default, American liberalism is designed to keep from getting too extreme in one direction or another.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:49 PM

I actually made two statements about American politics:

1) Conservatives are ideologically rigid and proud of that fact.
2) Liberals are ideologically flexible and often attacked for that fact.

I then asked which would be more sucessful in a math class, a liberal or conservative approach? Do you have an answer?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does something become too liberal?

[/ QUOTE ]

By not having enough conservative constraints?
Old 12-14-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I then asked which would be more sucessful in a math class, a liberal or conservative approach? Do you have an answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your characterization does not conform to reality. Look, I'm one of the most liberal people I know... so I know where you are coming from. But, it does no good to make ridiculous analogies like that.

I could just as easy say:

A conservative says: 2+2=4 was true yesterday, so it's true today. A liberal wants to take a vote, and make sure everybody is OK with 2+2 being equal to 4. Which would do better in a math class?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A conservative says: 2+2=4 was true yesterday, so it's true today. A liberal wants to take a vote, and make sure everybody is OK with 2+2 being equal to 4. Which would do better in a math class?

[/ QUOTE ] This is interesting. Do liberals really want to take a vote about all of those things? And do conservatives really have access to any kind of fundemental truth? Does truth even exist?

Or can situations only be evaluated in context?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:10 PM

Kip, you could argue both sides.

You are partially correct with the 2+2=4 example, but what about is this the best method of solving this system of equations or what not? If we stay too rigid there would be no advancement of math.

Melch
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually made two statements about American politics:

1) Conservatives are ideologically rigid and proud of that fact.
2) Liberals are ideologically flexible and often attacked for that fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Irrelevant. Political ideology has nothing to do with mathematics.