Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-14-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Thanks Chezlaw for The Ancestor\'s Tale Recommendation

Got the book last saturday morning. I have not been able to put it down and have completed it now. Good, back to a bit more poker and other readings. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would say that if anyone reads this book and still holds on a remnant of a creationist idea, I just don't know?!

This book does not avoid pointing out the gaps, controversies etc. abaout Evolution, so should please creationists would like quotation out of context to support their ideology. Yet, there is hope than in reading this book, even with the wrong intention they will be so convinced by the sheer scope of the tapistry/panorama that the book covers that they could not be anything but convinced, imo.

As for me, I was a convinced evolutionist before, but it brought my knowledge up to date. My last foray was reading about 20 related, and current at that time, books, about 13 years or so ago. Boy, knowledge has advanced and all so confirmative too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Chez, I owe you one. Thanks again.

On another note, your avatar. I always thought it was you playing a pan pipe. But I just blew it up because I thought it may have been a cigar (and I am into cigars). At 200% it could have been one of those rugby ball shaped cigars, I thought. So I blew it to 400% and lo and behold... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I saw the cap and then that marvelously small object, that could contain remants of a cigar, but whose size betrays its symbolic importance. LOL

Good on you, this year. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MidGe
Old 12-14-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Re: Thanks Chezlaw for The Ancestor\'s Tale Recommendation

I'd kind of like to read this post.... could you write again while not high?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd kind of like to read this post.... could you write again while not high?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Which part of the post? The one referencing Dawkins book, or the one related to Chezlaw avatar, or both?

I assure you I am not high, I wish! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] At my age (respectable enough) it is not that easy to ensure supplies. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You sort of don't have the contacts.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, your avatar. I always thought it was you playing a pan pipe. But I just blew it up because I thought it may have been a cigar (and I am into cigars). At 200% it could have been one of those rugby ball shaped cigars, I thought. So I blew it to 400% and lo and behold... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I saw the cap and then that marvelously small object, that could contain remants of a cigar, but whose size betrays its symbolic importance. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

It looked like some sports guy kissing some sort of hand grenade. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] A bit of investigative research turned up that it is an Ashes trophey given to the winner of the Cricket series between Australia & England. I have no idea who the guy kissing it is... I'm not a big cricket fan. 8-|
Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Thanks mate.

Bringing up the suject of my avatar is much appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I have a small hope of making it to the MCG and SCG next year. Maybe if you're visiting that part of oz a beer could be arranged.

chez