Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-28-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: March of the Penguins

Penguins are considered an unusual and "cute" animal. Thus they especially appeal to kids. How many people would pay to see a movie entitled "The March of the Rats (to the Sewer)", or "The March of the Possums( to the Garbage Can)"?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Penguins are considered an unusual and "cute" animal. Thus they especially appeal to kids. How many people would pay to see a movie entitled "The March of the Rats (to the Sewer)", or "The March of the Possums( to the Garbage Can)"?

[/ QUOTE ]

NH
Old 12-28-2005, 07:42 AM

Probably the most interesting thing about these penguins, is that they have to cooperate as a group in order to survive. Those that remove themselves from the pack die. When the harshest weather sets in, they act as a single organism and huddle together in a manner that assures survival. Each penguin depends on the group and each mate utterly depends on the other for survival of the egg. The female must transfer the egg to her male mate, who in turn depends on that single female to trek 70 miles back to the ocean and then 70 miles back to the nesting ground to give him and the hatched baby food (he's starving all the while). The reason for this, is that production of the egg, saps the females strength to the point where she must abandon her egg to her mate in order to get food. All food sources are back at the beach which is 70 miles away. In the meantime, her male mate begins starving and depends on her to return with some food.
The original poster talked about the emotions of the whole thing, I just think it's interesting how the survival thing plays out. Only the group survives. Individuals die.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the most interesting thing about these penguins, is that they have to cooperate as a group in order to survive. Those that remove themselves from the pack die. When the harshest weather sets in, they act as a single organism and huddle together in a manner that assures survival. Each penguin depends on the group and each mate utterly depends on the other for survival of the egg. The female must transfer the egg to her male mate, who in turn depends on that single female to trek 70 miles back to the ocean and then 70 miles back to the nesting ground to give him and the hatched baby food (he's starving all the while). The reason for this, is that production of the egg, saps the females strength to the point where she must abandon her egg to her mate in order to get food. All food sources are back at the beach which is 70 miles away. In the meantime, her male mate begins starving and depends on her to return with some food.
The original poster talked about the emotions of the whole thing, I just think it's interesting how the survival thing plays out. Only the group survives. Individuals die.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you, some kind of damn commie? :P Don't you know part of the point of this film (so I've heard) is that homosexuality is some unnatural aberration? (This despite homosexuality in apes, rats, etc.)
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What are you, some kind of damn commie? :P Don't you know part of the point of this film (so I've heard) is that homosexuality is some unnatural aberration? (This despite homosexuality in apes, rats, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll bite. It's late for me. Is this sarcasm? A joke? The show had nothing to do with homosexuality.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Really penguines?

[ QUOTE ]
I have not seen this film, so if any of my information is incorrect I apologize in advance, it is just what was relayed to me.

To make a long story short: at a recent party a family member recommended that anyone who has not seen March of the Penguins see it, saying that it was an amazingly powerful film that will make anyone cry. Apparently every year the penguins go through a grueling mating ritual, after which the mother will trek 70 miles to find food for their young while the father waits and guards the egg so that it does not touch the ice, freeze, and break. Needless to say, I got some dirty looks when I asked "What's the big deal? It's what they're biologically inclined to do." I went on to tell them that the only reason anyone finds it touching or moving is because they unintentionally apply human thought characteristics to the animals, thus making their actions seem based on compassion, love, loyalty, etc. rather than nature/instinct... after all, they're just penguins.

I have told some friends about this scenario, and answers have ranged from "well yeah" to "what the hell is wrong with you, is your heart made of stone?" (The former usually from men, the latter from women... other family members gave me crap for it later but never really confronted me).

So I'm posting this for anyone else's take on the issue. I'm by no means an insensitive guy, but I really just don't see eye to eye with most people on this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daddy! Daddy! Am I a penguine?
Of course you are, son!

Mommy! Mommy! Am I really a penguine?
Of course you are, son!

Daddy! Daddy! Are you really sure I'm a a penguine?
Of course am sure....and why on earth do you keep asking?

Because I'm f.....ing freezing!