Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-24-2005, 08:22 PM

Default You Guys Are Tapping on the Aquarium

Let's see if I understand you guys correctly: There's someone at the table who's making what you see as a huge mistake, one that will cost her a lot of money in the long run if she keeps making it. And you want to "educate" her out of it? Or you want to attack her and verbally humiliate her when she makes this mistake?

I don't know about you, but I love having that sort of player at my table. She adds to my bottom line, and I have more fun when she's in the game. Does your need to feel superior take really precedence over both making more money and having more fun?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Berating Weak Players At The Poker Table

[ QUOTE ]
Get the attacker onto your buddies list. Make notes. See if it is a one-off or if he does this on a regular basis, which indicates low intelligence and bad instincts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a fallacy and you'd only be fooling yourself to think that the table coach is a bad player. To be honest the table coach is rarely the best player at the table but usually hes well above the average and can play a marginal winning game at the stakes he's at. I've run into very few table coachs who I didn't think were capable of beating the game we were in.

Berating the fish has alot more to do with the lack of self control rather then lack of intelligence. I guess you could argue they are one in the same. However, these players are susceptible to going on tilt although rarely does any 1 hand cause it but rather a string of consecutive beats.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get the attacker onto your buddies list. Make notes. See if it is a one-off or if he does this on a regular basis, which indicates low intelligence and bad instincts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats a fallacy and you'd only be fooling yourself to think that the table coach is a bad player. To be honest the table coach is rarely the best player at the table but usually hes well above the average and can play a marginal winning game at the stakes he's at. I've run into very few table coachs who I didn't think were capable of beating the game we were in.

Berating the fish has alot more to do with the lack of self control rather then lack of intelligence. I guess you could argue they are one in the same. However, these players are susceptible to going on tilt although rarely does any 1 hand cause it but rather a string of consecutive beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definitely a lack of intelligence - if you play for money, finding and gutting the fish is half the battle.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:50 PM

Here's what you say to the berater-

"You're just mad that you lost. Go cry to your mommy."

Or better yet, "YSSCKY".

Now you have a good player on tilt, and a bad player who's happy because you are on his side!
Old 12-25-2005, 01:59 PM

I wish it was more socially unacceptable for players to berate bad players at the poker table. Instead, the rest of the players just sit there and try to pretend like it's not happening, while the fish who's getting berated either tightens up or leaves sooner than he would have. If it was totally unacceptable to berate other players for their play, the rest of the table would have less problem telling the obnoxious idiots to shut up. However, most players think of table coaches as being just an unfortunate aspect of poker that cannot be avoided.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish it was more socially unacceptable for players to berate bad players at the poker table. Instead, the rest of the players just sit there and try to pretend like it's not happening, while the fish who's getting berated either tightens up or leaves sooner than he would have. If it was totally unacceptable to berate other players for their play, the rest of the table would have less problem telling the obnoxious idiots to shut up. However, most players think of table coaches as being just an unfortunate aspect of poker that cannot be avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never stand for it at my table. What is the Email at Party for abuse, anyways? I'm gonna just start reporting people who ruin good tables.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:59 PM

What would you guys do if you saw two sharks berating each other? Hop on one's side and try to get the other on tilt?
Old 12-25-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll never stand for it at my table. What is the Email at Party for abuse, anyways? I'm gonna just start reporting people who ruin good tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to do, get the live ones barred or something?
Old 12-26-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to do, get the live ones barred or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

???
No, the players who abuse them.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:10 PM

Read this thread for advice because I've seen this a couple of times online (not live).

I just started playing at Party a month or so ago and thus got access to to biggest fishpond I've ever seen: the beginner's section. The highest limit there is 1/2, but the .50/1 has almost the same size average pot as the the 1/2. And there are almost always games with at least 11-12 averages (at .50/1!). At EVERY table I've played there, there's at least one person with a VP$P over 85. Soft.

One day I saw a table with an $18 average, so I got myself on the list. And there he was: the uberfish. He was the worst player I've ever seen. I played that table for 4 hours and saw him make $50 rebuys at least 8 times. And I got my share of that $400. But when I joined the table, there was a guy who was needling him: "how much have you lost so far? Isn't that about $300?" and like that. I could not believe that Mr. Needler would be saying that -- let him drop as much as he wants, fer chrissakes!! (Based on that chat, I'd guess he dropped near $1000 that night: playing .50/1!!!) I saw uberfish the next day, but only for about an hour (and $200) before he disappeared. He's not been back since, as far as I can tell. Shame. And shame on Mr. Needler.

I saw a similarly horrible player, who was about 99.9 VP$P, getting cursed out another day by a different player. The amusing thing was that Mr. Angry was playing with Mr. 99.9 the next day too!! Seems Angry loved 99.9's money, but couldn't stand the suckouts!!

I just don't understand these people -- why be mean to the producers? And, of course, I love the irony of these people berating others for their inferior play ON THE BEGINNER'S TABLES!! I mean, I'm not a true beginner either, but at least I know enough to keep my mouth SHUT.