Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: HOH II Problem 9-3 (p 177)

[ QUOTE ]
Why not wait til next hand? We'll be UTG so still have the first-in vig. And we'll probably be dealt a better pushing hand than Q6o.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably won't be dealt a better hand next time, plus it will look pretty obvious if you are UTG as it will be your last chance to raise enough to scare people away before you are in the blinds.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 AM

I was just reading this last night. I think Harrington's logic is pretty compelling, though I am not sure he was explicit about all of it. In a nutshell:

* You have better FE UTG+1 than if you wait another hand because there is one less player to act (one already folded) and it appears less desperate than a UTG push

* Your hand is at least of average or better strength, meaning that its just as likely that this is the best hand you can get in first with as that you will get dealt a better one next hand

* You have a hand that if called is unlikely to be dominated. An AQ will call, 66 maybe from a pretty big stack, obviously QQ, but what other dominating hand is calling you here? KQ?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with Harrington, and have been practicing this diligently lately and the "first in vigourish" is HUGE IMHO. You have very little FE, but sometimes it is enough and when you do get called, you may get lucky or even get called with suited connectors or random hand lower than Q.

[/ QUOTE ]
That doesn't make sense to me; you say the first-in vig is "HUGE" but we have very little FE. Isn't FE the whole point of first-in vig?

Why not wait til next hand? We'll be UTG so still have the first-in vig. And we'll probably be dealt a better pushing hand than Q6o.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think q6o is a bad pushing hand. there is a decent chance you're going to get called by a blind with a hand like J5 or T4s (he's getting a little better than 2:1) so having a hand with some big card value is nice. 98s would be better, but i would take Q6o over 53s, for example.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 AM

There's a chart floating around here indicating the chance of getting a better hand within x hands. Without looking at the chart i can say that you won't get a better hand as the next hand, Q6 is quite strong (compared to all possible hands).
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM

what is the "Ban Stick"? is that for clubbing people with?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:46 PM

Whether this is correct or not I'm not real sure.

But I'll tell you one thing, if you have ever watched Dan
play, he ain't pushing with this in a real life situation.

Bruce
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 PM

you have to be kidding. did you see his squeeze play in the '04 championship with 2 rags like 38o in which he pushed over a million chips in (i'm going by memory here).
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM

bruce,

I've never played with Dan but I have to say my gut feeling was along these lines. You get in a tournament situation like this and if its important to you money wise you just sometimes take your chances waiting for the next hand hoping to get lucky.

Not sure if that makes sense.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:41 PM

A squeeze play is a completely different scenario. You're
comparing apples to oranges.

Bruce
Old 12-15-2005, 02:01 PM

not really, not when you say the man who wrote the book (or co-wrote) doesn't follow his own advice. He even states that he will take advantage of his tight table image to throw out a bluff. This is not even a bluff type decision, this is a getting ready to be run over by a mack truck, on life support type decision. RED ZONE.