Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Not-so-handy handy-man incidents

1990, stationed at Pope AFB, NC - 23yrs old.

I purchased my families first washer & dryer, while living off-base in an apartment complex. The small apartment had an even smaller odd-shaped laundry room at one end of the apartment. Squeezing the two units into the room was challenging enough. How I was ever going to plug in the dryer after attaching the 220 cord to the back of the machine was another question.

[A less than brilliant idea entered my pee-brain]

I'll plug it in first! So I'm squatting in the corner having just plugged the one end into the power supply, holding the other end of the 220, about to slip the little copper rabbit-ear thingies to the back of the dryer. As I move the rigid cord toward my new dryer/electrocutioner, it thankfully slips out of my hand.

"KA-BOOM!!" (The memory is a little shaky. I'm not sure if the "ka-boom" was the 220 or me hitting the wall)

I see a large flash as I fly backward the short foot or two, leaving a nice dent in the drywall.
It is now pitch dark.
My eyes hurt.
The wife and baby are both crying/screaming.

While I'm pretty sure I survived, I was convinced I was blind - letting anyone within ear-shot know of my condition (failing to reason that I am in a dark, window-less corner of the apartment, after sunset).

So after a few panicked moments, I stumble out of the laundry room, realizing what had happened. The results? I knocked out power to all 8 units in the building. Burned a little hole in the linoleum as the 220 sought grounding. My face was a little "sun" burnt from the flash. I was seeing red for a few hours. And had the pleasant exchange, trying to explain to the on-call super what I had done.

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Can you beat that stupidity?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Not-so-handy handy-man incidents

I chopped my finger off while cleaning some equipment at my first job.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I chopped my finger off while cleaning some equipment at my first job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even want to know... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 11:45 PM

In 1996 I was working retail at a clothing store on Cape Cod. The store had just finished a promotion complete with balloons and streamers to mark the end of summer. I was tasked with removing the deflated balloons from the track lighting.

I climbed up a ladder and used metal scissors with a metal handle to remove the strings. They were tied to the track lighting so I just stuck the scissors in the little depression. I was shocked so badly I blacked out, fell twelve feet and demolished a display rack. Despite being out for a few minutes it didn't really hurt. My head just buzzed and I felt disoriented.

Given the store's fear of a worker's comp claim I was able to take a few days off with pay though and recuperate on the beach.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:10 AM

You're lucky you didn't end up on www.darwinawards.com .
Old 10-16-2005, 12:18 AM

Slightly off topic, but still stupid...

My father has a large farm. I was visiting during uni holidays when his main irrigation pump broke down. I have a fair idea what I'm doing so I decided to give it a go rather than pay a repairman an exorbitant fee.

The pump was directly attached to a 3 phase power line, so I couldn't unplug it, but I turned off three switches on the meter box (at the main shed - a fair distance from the pump) before opening the pump cover and taking a look. A few tests revealed a faulty capacitor, so I unhook the bare copper wires and set about putting in a replacement. I'm just about to put the new one when my father drives up, grinning, saying he's found the problem. The switches in the meter box were turned off, he says, and he just [censored] turned them back on!!

I was 20 seconds away from getting electrocuted. I could have throttled him.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:27 AM

While checking an engine for a tapping sound, I decided it might be coming from the rotor cap. I reached over to touch the cap to make sure. I woke up on my back looking at the sky.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:59 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i can't beat it, but i can definitely match it. i did the exact same thing less than a year ago.

i took delivery on a new washer/dryer. it came with a cord, but they charged me like $25 for it. i was in home depot and saw they had them for like $12, so i figured i could buy that and return the best buy one since it was still in its packaging. bear in mind i never return anything ever, and i have basically lost millions of dollars in unsent rebates uncashed checks (tax rebates, you name it).

so i buy it at home depot. i take it out of the bag. it has the looped ends that attach to the dryer taped together. i wasn't even going to plug it in, i had just heard about prong differences in cables and wanted to make sure i had the right one. for some reason holding it up to the socket just wasn't enough for me. so i plugged it in, with about the same result. big bang, everything goes dark. i'm stumbling around and wondering if i'm dead and my head has an intense panic/ring sense to it, heart is racing 90 miles per hour. i ended up having to go outside to reset the master breaker to my condo block because it turns out mine was defective.

damage ended up being that the outlet needed to be replaced, the breaker was broken, and the broken breaker had an electric arc that fried another breaker inside the box. i think i might have posted this at some time in the past, not sure.

now i'm an idiot of course. but i'm left scratching my head that when you order 'hot coffee' at mcdonald's it says 'warning: this coffee is hot' on the cup. looking at the packaging for the cord, there was no warning whatsoever about plugging it in if the other end isn't attached to a dryer. it blew because the ends were touching each other, but they're taped together from the factory...
Old 10-16-2005, 02:17 AM

I'm delighted. This the incredibly rare permutation of the classic "fvck up" thread that doesn't sound like random bits from my autobiography. I think I actually escape the electric chair in this version of story.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While checking an engine for a tapping sound, I decided it might be coming from the rotor cap. I reached over to touch the cap to make sure. I woke up on my back looking at the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get new plug wires.