Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 AM

Default Do I have a gambling problem?

As many of you already know I went to Las Vegas for a week and had a blast playing poker. I am now feeling the downsides of that trip. Part of the plan was to build up my online bankroll, cash out then go down to Vegas, make more money, come back and put the money in...SIMPLE RIGHT?? WRONG! All my winnings went to "entertainment," beer, food, tux rental, limo ride (times 2!), taxis, and of course poker (i had 2 losing sessions!) oh wait and i must have dropped 30 on slots and oh about 40-50 on blackjack....ok MY FAULT for losing! NEVER EVER PLAY SLOTS, NEVER EVER PLAY BLACKJACK!!

Now I am here without any money in my favorite poker site Party Poker. I have to build my RL (real life) bankroll first, so I have to work some more shifts at the arena and hopefully I can put some money into online poker and start earning again. I cashed out close to $400 USD from Party Poker, Pokerstars and Tiger Gaming. Not a lot of money and I DEFINATELY could have AND WAS building on it, but I have zero regrets. my little bro got married, I experienced Vegas, a small price to pay! (btw I did have other money on the trip, that was merely my online poker cash, i will not disclose how much i actually took down, but if you are reading this thinking CRO?!?!?! YOU CANNOT GO TO VEGAS FOR ONE WEEK ON $400 USD!! haha)

Does this mean I have a gambling problem? I hosted a game last week and I wanted to play like 2 days later, I even tried to scrounge up some guys! NO DICE. Do I need professional help for this? Is it a problem that I sit here and think about the good ole days when I was earning money playing poker while maintaining a few msn conversations, surfing the net, listening to music and enjoying some dinner?

I'm going to take the easy road and say no I do not have a problem. What if an athlete suffered a career ending injury and could not play basketball again? Would that be an issue? Does that athlete have problems? How about the athlete that is injured in his final year at high school? Does he have issues? Does he need professional help? I think not so let's not get carried away here. (Yes I did sprain my ankle and tore my ankle to shreds and missed half of my senior year)

I love playing poker, I get a lot of joy just from playing. It helps a lot to win (and I win often) but whether it's sitting at a table or signing in to play some hands, I love it. I love calling my LAGgy friend when he tries to bluff me out of a pot (thanks for doubling me up Yoshi!), I love making those huge laydowns, flipping over top pair good kicker and my opponent shows a dorky set of deuces. (thank you for the free information by the way) I love getting away and concentrating on one thing, WINNING. So when I cannot play it really hurts. It kills me to watch my friends play poker and I'm thinking GOD DAMN I'D BUST THIS TABLE UP! It kills me when I have to turn down a poker game because of a miscommunication and my supervisor "misplaced" my paycheck (paycheque for you CANADIANS out there!).

I will be back and watch out, when I get back I will be out for blood. To badly quote Samuel Jackson from XxX (Vin Diesel movie) "Have you ever seen a wild lion in a cage? You can tell the ones that were taken out of the wild, they have that crazed look in their eye. After spending too much time in a cage, they lose that hunger they lose their wild streak and after that they might as well be dead." HORRIBLE paraphrase but that is basically what he said. I am the wild lion in a cage, hungry and determined to get that red meat. My master (THANK YOU NEXT PAYCHECK) is coming to my cage with the key and I am ready to let loose and DESTROY everything in my path.

Thank you for reading, I appreciate it. Please message me sometime and let me know your thoughts. Do not hold back, if you feel I have a gambling problem, tell me straight up! If you're feeling my pain, tell me! If you do not have an opinion that is all good as well.

thoughts? opinions? e-mail me or add me to msn messenger thecroshow@hotmail.com
Old 05-30-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Do I have a gambling problem?

No gambling problem. Just plain nuts.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:19 AM

as in THE NUTS? to misquote phil hellmuth, something i like doing at the poker table when i roll over my hand "I like showing people my nutz"
Old 05-30-2005, 07:16 AM

You're the wild, action-packed, junkie at the table, aren't you? You know the one. Always talking, always cracking lame jokes. Sounds like you.
For now my advice is to keep working hard at the arena. If you're smart you would take about 20% of your bi-weekly paycheck and invest in something less wasteful such as an IRA. I'd start looking into something like that. Honestly.
I hope you're the lucky one.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:51 AM

Junkie? Yes I crack a lot of jokes at the table amongst friends, but buckle down when I'm playing amongst strangers. I only talk trash when someone starts with me first.

You suggest that me playing poker is a waste? Interesting. You do not know me and do not know the success I have enjoyed in the 6 or so months I have played poker. No I have not won thousands and thousands of dollars, I started out with a limited bankroll and built on it. My poker game has allowed me to pay off some bills (MAJOR for a college student), helped with my trip to Vegas (airfare, food, poker, etc) and pick up a few gifts and such along the way. I did not pick up this part time job at the arena until about 2 or 3 months ago. I only work 10 hours max per week (lol) and the place is literally outside my front door so it's perfect for me. Put in the odd shift here and there and you get the picture.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:53 AM

haha. Your comment reminds me of the commerical for some beer, "I'm all-in... 21 BABY, BLACKJAC!" "Congratulations sir, but this is Poker" -Rich, but not smooth-.
It's true what KIdPokerX said... And as for your gambling "problem". I just think it was completley your fault. Not a "problem", well, maybe a problem with something else that happens to be at the top of your body.

It's all love, baby!
Old 05-30-2005, 10:56 AM

haha I think I have seen that commercial, funny stuff!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:25 PM

If I were a psychologist and read your post, I could diagnose you with all sorts of big words. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 01:56 PM

The best way to figure out if you have a gambling problem is the same as the best way to figure out anything:

Imagine you're in the show Dawson's Creek. Imagine that it's after school, and you're chillin' with Dawson and Joey. Now you tell them everything about your situation. How do they react? What do they tell you to do?

Therein lies your answer.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 PM

Joey would tell me that I need to seek help, Jen would be too drunk to comprehend my situation and Pacey would be like hey man how do I sign up for poker online? and dawson would be all "dude you are taking unnecessary risks." so about 50/50 there...

i'm curious which "big words" can be used to describe my situation. i came here for thoughts and comments and am curious what others have to say. i asked you not to hold back. one guy already called me crazy and he may not be that far off!