Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Ride em\' Cowboys...

Lemme know how y'all would play it:
(Poker tracker had the button at 18%VP$IP, 8%PFR , 2.5 PostAggr.)
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

BB ($48.3)
UTG ($35.05)
UTG+1 ($100.43)
MP1 ($62.55)
Hero ($53.8)
MP3 ($9.3)
CO ($39.5)
Button ($111.3)
SB ($130.6)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $3, Button calls $3, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($12.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, CO folds, Button calls $10, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($32.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $30.80 (All-In), Button calls $20.80.

River: ($114.35) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $114.35
Old 03-07-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Ride em\' Cowboys...

Looks OK to me. While his min-raise on the turn screams "I have a set!", I'm still pushing every time.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 AM

This is pretty read dependent, but I would have folded. If I were up against an LAG player, I see pushing here, but villain's calling the big flop bet (20xBB) makes me nervous about my overpair. What possible hands could he have called with? I don't see any draws worth anything, and AT would have raised you. I would have checked the turn to see how villain bet. Maybe he will let me showdown cheaply.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 AM

Yea, he had TT. I agree I should have checked on the turn. I had that guy pegged as a solid player, so I figured he had JJ or TT.
In fact, I was almost positive he had TT. I'm still too new to this. When I get KK, I get way too attached and excited. It still was only a freakin pair... Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lemme know how y'all would play it

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd:
Raise a little less preflop, unless that's "my" standard raise. Bet a little less on the flop (2/3 pot) but that's a minor change. You have to bet the flop with 3 opponents. Once I get called on the flop I'm wary, particularly against someone with 2.5Agg. If nothing else I'd rather check-raise-push the turn than bet it.

Had you seen him flat-call the flop in position before? Your bet there is big enough that you look committed to showdown - he's probably not trying to take the pot away from you with a bluff on a later street. He's in there because he thinks he has you beat. (He's not there on a draw with J9.) He may have JJ and want you to keep betting in case you have AK, but I wouldn't count this as particularly likely. (That said, if he has reason to think he can take the pot away from you on later streets despite your only having 1x pot in your stack your hand's more likely good. He shouldn't have reason to, though.)

That call shows a _lot_ of strength, since you've put 25% of your stack in and he's inviting you to put in more. Part of the problem here is that your preflop raise probably marks you as having a big pair. I think I try to make it to the end of the flop a little more cheaply, and don't have too much confidence in my hand when I get there.

Of course, I say all this now, but tomorrow I'm sure I'll put in 200BB with an unimproved QQ or something equally ridiculous.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:18 AM

Preflop: Well I wouldn't raise 3.00 , but that's just my preference. If I'm in a hand with you it's telling me that you have a big pair and you've had a few bad beats lately so you're trying to scare away any borderline calls. You got quite a few callers and while I'd assume you're a clear favorite preflop, kings just don't like to see that many people in a pot. "Flop:" : Great flop texture for you and you were right to bet out. The call behind you is very scary and warning sirens should be going off in your head at this point. Likely holdings are AA,QQ,JJ,TT,88 and possibly AT, 33. And out of those holdings you're only winning 3/7 of the time. I check the turn and hope for a free card, but fold to a modest bet.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Preflop: You guys who say raise less preflop seem to be missing that he raised 6xBB and got 3 callers. A lot pf players are used to a raise being $3 from when the stacks were 50BB, and $3 is still the standard raise on a lot of these tables, which is fine with me, I love tables where I can raise 6xBB with KK and get callers.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:59 AM

i would play it as you did.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM

The other two callers were maniacs who saw about 80% of flops, so I figured they had ace something or even junk(which was right since they quickly folded to my raise). The button however was TA-A and from what I observed a very solid player. I had seen many 4xBB PF raises called by sometimes five players, so I had to raise stronger to limit callers.

Now thinking about it, the only hands the button could of had are JJ or TT. He would have probably re-raised PF with AA, KK, or QQ. He wouldn't have called my preflop raise with less then 88(or AK), since he was tight and solid... and he wouldn't have called my flop bet without TT or JJ at least. So I had to decide between JJ or TT, since a ten was on the board there were six possible JJ or 3 possible TT, so it was 66% I win... However, I just didn't see him cold-calling with JJ, so TT was really what I felt he had. I've gotta start trusting my reads...

Once again, thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:19 PM

I don't think checking the turn helps you, FWIW, b/c many players would see that as an AK that missed the flop and tried to buy it (which is exactly how I'd play AK w/that flop). So, many players will bet into you w/any two cards after you check. A10 becomes a very real possibility at that point, or you might be giving a free card to a backdoor flush draw with a low pair. So, I still think betting the turn is still the correct move, and I think the bet size is perfect because you can still get away from it, at least theoretically.

It's the min-raise on the turn telling you to fold, combined with the guy's stats. I've got to get better at letting these go too...