Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Poker goals

Hiya La Brujita,

By "won" do you mean 1st place or in the money? My record for consecutive money finishes is probably about 7 or 8; for 1st place, probably 3-4, if that.

Cris
Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 AM

By won I mean first. I think I did 9 straight in the money once. I would like to have a streak of 5 or 6 firsts in a row but it just hasn't happened yet. It would take a great deal of luck.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should I do some serious bonus whoring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely NOT

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here. I have recently gotten the UB Holiday Bonus (at .50/1.00 it takes forever to drain that one away) and a Party Poker bonus and I've noticed two things. 1. I end up playing multiple tables, which reduces my level of play, and 2. It takes me away from Sit N' Gos, which I prefer to play. Those two factors, as well as the point about "earning" you bankroll have led me to the conclusion that I will be very selective about bonuses from now on. But I'll admit that the temptation is very strong.

[ QUOTE ]
So at this time, you have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what it's like to play against better competition. Don't be in too much of a hurry to make large jumps in stakes tho, learn to beat the stupidly loose games before graduating to the tougher ones. the competition at 1-2 is no better than at 50c-1.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if I read this correctly, you are saying that a jump to 1-2 is still the right move for me, in that the level of competition will still be to my liking, and yet will allow me to increase the stakes (however marginally). I am not planning to jump to 5/10 anytime soon. However, I am looking to move up in SnGs to $30 after my 100 $10 SnG experiment still.

[ QUOTE ]
and even then it'll still often be magoo city.

[/ QUOTE ] How do you no when you are no longer the magoo? I don't feel like a magoo all the time, but still have bouts of magooness from time to time. I can imagine playing at your table, Al, and you finding me a bit magooey... [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Thanks for the response. Very valuable.

CCC
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 PM

Thank you.
Al
Old 02-09-2004, 10:56 PM

Al,
I'm sorry you are just going to have to wait. Got DS TPFAP from 2+2 on Friday. Picked POP up at the bookstore Saturday. Yours is next.

Doc
Old 02-10-2004, 09:53 AM

Good post.

Adding stars is fine, but don't go on a bonus whoring spree. You spread your bankroll out too thin, and often the bonuses are hard to clear, and you may not like the site anyway. Win your money by playing, taking bonuses only when it makes sense, not just because they exist, or as a substitute for winning play. Besides, with your limited time to play, it WILL take you forever to clear them.

You're not going to find the competition too much different at 1-2 or at the $20 SNGs.

For other games I highly recommend it. Pot and no limit ring games are part of my daily diet. My personal feelings say skip omaha-8, BORING. Stud-8 is my personal non-hold'em game of choice. I feel it really builds skills of hand reading and poker logic, and it's just plain fun. Regular stud high is also on my list, and I play it often. Whatever you do, don't be one of these wimpoids who can ONLY play limit hold'em - GAG! Grow a pair already!

al