Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 02-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Help a new Omaha player.

I have been playing hold 'em for about 2 years, but I just started getting serious about it in the last 6 months or so. Right now I play .01/.02 NL, and I am beating those consistently.

I have watched some of the small PL Omaha games, and they seem VERY profitable for someone who knows what they are doing. I have played a little Omaha, so I know how to play the game, but that's about it.

I want to learn how to play Omaha, at least semi-well. The only book I have seen is the Ray Zee book, but that is for Hi-Lo Split poker. What are some good books to read for beggining Omaha players? Can someone lay out some basics for me(IE:Starting hands, what kind of BR I will need, basically anything that a begginer should know.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Help a new Omaha player.

You need to read:

1)Omaha Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone;
2)Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker by Ciaffone & Reuben.

These are the basic texts and you need to read them a couple times before playing larger limit plo games. Don't waste your money on Hellmuth's book for the plo chapter, and the above 2 books are better information than the Super System 2 chapter by Berman in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to read:

1)Omaha Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone;
2)Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker by Ciaffone & Reuben.

These are the basic texts and you need to read them a couple times before playing larger limit plo games. Don't waste your money on Hellmuth's book for the plo chapter, and the above 2 books are better information than the Super System 2 chapter by Berman in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the recommendations, I was thinking of picking up the PL/NL Ciaffone book anyways, now I definitely will.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 PM

You actually need to read the Omaha Holdem Poker book first. It is like a college 101 prereq to the other 201 book.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You actually need to read the Omaha Holdem Poker book first. It is like a college 101 prereq to the other 201 book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'll get that one too. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:53 PM

If you go to Bob's website (pokercoach.us) you can order the books from him. He takes neteller, paypal or personal check and he autographs every book you purchase through him and if you buy it through him, you can email him any questions you have while reading (which I haven't actually done).
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go to Bob's website (pokercoach.us) you can order the books from him. He takes neteller, paypal or personal check and he autographs every book you purchase through him and if you buy it through him, you can email him any questions you have while reading (which I haven't actually done).

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh sweet thanks a lot. Didn't know that.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh sweet thanks a lot. Didn't know that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, he doesn't have his Omaha book though because it's out of print. I forgot about that. I just ordered that about two weeks ago from the Gambler's Book Shop who still has copies (or at least did when I ordered it; I received it pretty fast too):
http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink....il/525401.html
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM

I tried to order it his website a few weeks ago, but he said it was out of print until possibly late spring. I picked it up at cardplayer though, their website is www.cardplayer.com