Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 PM

Default Good position to bluff?

Playing $100 buy in PL Omaha on Empire.

What I perceive to be a TAG UTG raises preflop for pot. 4 Callers then to me near the button, I call with a mediocre hand As4s3hQh. I also put the raiser on AAxx or KKxx, as I've only seen him raise these hands.

Flop comes 7s4c2h, he immediately bets out pot. Everyone folds to me, and I'm the last player before the button. Since I've put him on AAxx or KKxx, I reraise pot, believing that there is no way he can make this call, I could have two pair, trips, or a great straight draw, as opposed to the pair of 4s and gutshot draw that I have.

After pondering it for a while, he calls, and I catch the 5 on the river to make a straight. He berates my play, and asks how could I reraise him pot with just a gutshot draw. I told him I was playing his cards and not mine, how could he call a pot size reraise with just an overpair and very few outs.

In any case, thoughts on my play? on his play? Good move, bad move, indifferent?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Good position to bluff?

Looks like you mis-read that opponent's tendencies, tried a bluff, failed, but got lucky. Unless maybe he read you...

What was his whole hand? Did he have other draws? I mean, if it were AA56, it's different from AAKQ here.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:40 PM

I'll try to find in my hand histories, as I recall it was nothing that was pertinent to the flop though.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:41 PM

I like it-the flop, position and read on the player's hands are to your favor. Nice play-you may have gotten lucky but he shouldn't have played back-you outplayed him. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

regards,
carlo
Old 11-08-2004, 11:18 PM

Bad time to bluff, bad hand to call a raise with preflop if you have your opponent on aces.

You make your money when your opponent has AA from him overplaying them, not folding them. How many times do you see people go broke with AAxx? You can't have it both ways.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:52 PM

I like the play. Nice read you your part. I think that stack size has a lot to do with when you try to make this type of play. For instance, if you have $400 and he has $400 at a $1-2 PLO game and you put him on AAxx then he has to make a big decision on whether or not he want to keep playing against someone who has already hit thier set, two pair etc. Because, if he calls you then he has to expect that you will re-raise him on the turn for an increasingly substantial amount and risk losing his stack chasing with AAxx. Good players do not overplay AAxx and are discipline enough to lay them down. Of course, if he somehow or another thinks you are bluffing after your re-raise and re-raises you then of course you lay it down with a loss. If you opponent has a small stack, lets say started with $75 and only has $40 left after his raise then he may just call your bluff just because he really is not risking much to play out the hand; then, in this case I would not try to bluff. I really don't like playing AAxx aggressively pre-flop. I like bluffing on the flop against a few people if a flop of my liking hits (9-3-3) or hoping that I hit my set and another person over plays top two pair or a low set. I have definitely been more successful the later way of playing AAxx. If there is a situation where I am in late position or on the button with AAxx especially if I have at least one Ax suited, and there is a raise from early position and severall callers and the pot is fairly large then another Pot sized raise may allow me to win the hand pre-flop. Likely at least one person will call and then in this situation holding the AAxx puts you at an advantage. Nevertheless I have still lost a lot of money overplaying my AAxx like this in this situation.