Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2005, 05:59 AM

Default 128mb ATI Radeon up to the job?

Sorry if his question has been asked before, I read the graphics cards / monitors FAQ and it didn’t quite these specific questions:

Which is a better option for dual monitor support (I am buying a Dell + 2 x 2001FPs).

1) Stick with the 128 MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X300 SE that's standard on the package I'm interested in and run 2 x 2001FPs off it, but one via a VGA adaptor. This is the cheapest option, but I have heard that the VGA adapter will not produce graphics of the same standard as straight DVI? Also, does this card have enough punch to run both monitors effectively at 1600 x 1200?

2) Buy a system without any graphics card and get 2 x pretty basic DVI graphics cards & install myself. Suspect this will actually work out more expensive than the above option as there is a special deal on a Dell with the 128mb Radeon I have seen. But of course I get direct DVI for both monitors. If I go down this route are there any minimum hardware requirements I need to be aware of if I want to be able to add a third monitor in the future?

3) Upgrade the card to the nVidia GeForce 6800 GTO 256MB which supports 2 monitors directly via DVI. This is by far the most expensive option and unless there’s some reason I’ve missed why either 1) or 2) wouldn’t work properly I don’t want to spend that kind of money on a graphics card.

Anyone help out here? Anyone running a 2nd 2001FP through a VGA adaptor? How are the graphics?

Thx in advance...