Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Poker goals

In the spirit of the good Doctor's "Humble Pie" post, and upon reaching a milestone in my bankroll (from $60 to $600 in 6 months), I thought I would put the posters here to a rather amorphous question...What are your goals in the game of poker?

After playing at UB exclusively for the past 2-3 months, I deposited at Party to take advantage of a $100 bonus opportunity. At .50/1.00, the play at Party was so atrociously bad compared even to the same level at UB (which is not spectacular) that I was astonished. After reading the various "Humble Pie" posts, I began to consider what my goals for the next six months should be, and what my priorities ought to be? Stay at Party and go fishing some more? Move to Stars and and up in level to play against better competition?

I came up with the following, in order of priority...

1. To continue to improve my game. Kind of soft and fuzzy, but I think we all want to do this. But what's the best way? I'm contemplating adding Stars to my site list (which is now just UB and Party), because I think it would be a better "learning" ground. Plus, I could play in the 2+2 SnG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]! I will continue to read and play as well. I also need to get a better grounding in the mathematics of the game. I have a basic grasp of things, but as a former math teacher, I'd love to be able to spout off the exact odds that I have to make my hand. I'm amazed by players like Bozeman in this regard.

2. Increase my bankroll. Maybe this should be 1a. To what amount, I haven't decided. I am limited in my estimations here because I cannot bank on having a certain amount of time to play. Between work, my family, and various other interests, I manage to squeeze between 5 and 10 hours of poker in per week on average. Should I do some serious bonus whoring (Of the $600, around half has been through bonuses) or get a better guage on my play by strictly increasing (or decreasing) through table winnings (or losings)?

3. Better record keeping. I suck at this. And I think this would really help my game because one of my strengths is learning from my mistakes. Thus, a particularly horrific play by me is liable to have an impact, but the small, subtle mistakes that I make regularly might be escaping my notice. I need PokerTracker!

4. Move up in level. This is sort of a foregone conclusion for me at this point. 99% of my play has been at .50/1.00 and below in rings, and $10 and below in SnGs. In my next session, I am planning to move up to $1/$2, and (once I finish my 100 $11 SnG recordkeeping exercise) I am planning to move up to $20 or $30 SnGs.

5. Work on my poker psyche. I am good about not berating other players, but I definitely go on tilt once in a while, and I tend to react to a perceived bad beat quickly without analyzing what I might have done to contribute to it. I'm thinking of picking up one of the "Zen and Poker" books or something similar. Recommendations appreciated.

6. Venture into other formats and games. I'd like to play more multis. Two-table SnGs. I'd like to try stud and Omaha. I think I may put off trying other games seriously, though, other than to change things up a bit when I get tired of Hold 'Em, because I really enjoy Hold 'Em.

Anyhow, this is getting a bit long. But I am curious as the goals that folks set for themselves. For pros, is everything else secondary to putting food on the table? For the amateurs, I imagine there are lots of other motivations besides the ones I have listed...like, having fun, for instance [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Thanks as always.

CCC
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Poker goals

Hiya CCC,

Excellent post! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hrmmm ... my goals? Win the remaining 12 WPT events if 2004, and be the first woman to win the WSOP (in 2004), then retire to a Mediterranean island with a yacht and a lifetime supply of Necco wafers (which look an awful lot like poker chips, come to think of it)....

Seriously, my goals are relatively straightforward: by the end of 2004, I'd like to be earning a consistent $2K/month playing poker. I think that's an attainable goal for me, and it would be a nice second income to my primary income as a novelist.

(Shameless Self-Promotion: SOMETHING DEADLY, our latest suspense release, made #35 on the NYTimes Bestseller List, and spent two weeks on the USA TODAY Bestseller List. This was our first time on the NYT List. YAYYYY!!)

So ... how do I do that? (The $2K/month from poker, not the NYT list.) Well, three things:

(1) Like CCC, I want to get a better grasp of the unusual odds situations. I know the common ones, as do most of us, but I'm just now starting to memorize the common but more complex cases, e.g.: filling with a set at the flop (~1:2), or pair-plus-four vs. overpair-overkicker (~1:1). Pokernum at twodimes.net is wonderful for this, as I can run a bunch of comparisons and see how a suit or rank change (in either hand) affects the odds.

(2) Again, like CCC, keep better records. Right now I keep a poker journal, not with specific day-by-day results but as a way to "think out loud" about how I'm playing and why. I think PokerTracker or PokerStats may be helpful in helping me refine this, and it's also good for bookkeeping I'm told.

(3) Keep reading here, and observing better players.

And that's really about it, for me. Nothing fancy. Just win more money. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cris
Old 01-30-2004, 06:41 PM

Congrats on the book, Cris...it's too bad I have nothing as big as that to shamelessly promote. Wish I did...although I did get rave reviews on my annual Christmas letter this year...

And I have to strongly disagree with you on the Necco wafers...kind of like eating Poker Chips, I would imagine. I'm a Junior Mints guy myself.

Good luck with the new book(s)...

CCC
Old 01-30-2004, 03:20 PM

I will also be interested in the answers to your post.

I will comment on item 5 only: Zen and the Art of Poker is also on my list, but not nearly as high on the list as Psychology of Poker. I have heard nothing but good to rave reviews of Al Schoonmaker's book.

I hope your item 3 draws some comment as to what methods, programs, or sites people use for record keeping. Is Poker Tracker the answer?

Doc
Old 01-30-2004, 04:47 PM

Zen and the art of poker is a nice fuzzy read, but probably not the best book out there with regards to handling beats, staying in control, etc... I recommend Vorhaus' book 'Killer Poker'. His online book is also good, but a bit pessimistic about online play in general.

I bought poker tracker but do not even use it anymore. It is excellent, don't get me wrong, but is most useful for ring game results. Besides, I like to sit around and do my own stats. I think it is time well spent to go over your results and do your own calculations. There is also the fact that I keep forgetting to get tournament histories sent to me.

My goals are to put in a good showing at the Canadian Championships this year and to post some good finishes in a few other live tourneys. I would also like to start playing live ring games. As far as sngs are concerned, I'd like to successfully make the jump from 10+1 to 30+3 before the end of the year. My long term goals are to get away from online poker and to play more big live tourneys. I don't think online poker can be profitable forever and it is not nearly as much fun as live play anyways.

Regards,
Brad S
Old 02-09-2004, 10:33 PM

Thank you.
Al
Old 02-09-2004, 10:56 PM

Al,
I'm sorry you are just going to have to wait. Got DS TPFAP from 2+2 on Friday. Picked POP up at the bookstore Saturday. Yours is next.

Doc
Old 01-30-2004, 03:45 PM

My Goals:

1. Be able to earn 1000 a week by the end of the year (highly questionable but possible). That would be double what I make now, but I have only been playing full time less than one year.

2. Become better at handling bad beats. My problem is not going on tilt, but rather having it affect my mood in things other than poker.

3. Become a well rounded Hold'em player. I am a good limit hold'em player and a pretty to very good nl sit and go player. I am also pretty decent at nl ring games. I am not a great shorthanded player. I am good heads up but between 3-6 players I am probably break even. I have been playing a bit each day to force myself to improve my game.

4. Become a decent/good multi table player. I honestly don't know how good I would consider myself. I don't play that much and my best finish ever is third in a hundred person tourney. I have made money playing, but the variance is so big and the time commitment as well I don't see it as worth it. I have been encouraged reading some of the posts about Stars 10+1 rebuys and I may start playing. End goal there is to play bigger tourneys (can we say WPT anyone?)

5. Become a bit of a trickier player. I am a solid player, but if I had to critique myself I would say I am a bit unimaginative. I think that is because (a) straight forward poker is usually the way to go (b) at relatively lower limits people are not good enough to try to trick (c) online you are constantly playing new players so the effectiveness is reduced.

6. Let poker be a means to let me travel. I love to travel and I want to be good enough that poker can be +ev enough to travel to cool places to play.

That is my list.

Cris, that is fantastic about your book! I will pick it up and have a read.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Become better at handling bad beats. My problem is not going on tilt, but rather having it affect my mood in things other than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. I get into very foul moods after a bad session at the table. Luckily, I usually play at night, so I simply fume in bed for awhile while I relive the bad beats in my head until I mercifully fall asleep, so my wife and kids don't have to deal with "Angry Poker" dad.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:03 PM

1. Get 50% ROI at $100 Sng's (alternative, make $50+/sng at $200)

2. Stop making dumb mistakes

3. Develop some competence at ring games (I am right now only a modest winner at $5/10 6 handed).

4. (3a) work on personal psychology

5. Improve my reads, investigate when to trust them, when to override.

6. Try to incorporate probabily into reads: eg. 60% chance of AK, 30% chance of QQ, 10% chance of bluff.

7. Make enough money to comfortably try a big buyin tourney.

8. Read 4 good poker books.

9. Get a real job.

Craig