Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Do you remember that first time you just blew up?

Today, I was 11th in chips with 21 left top 9 win a $1000 seat to 1 million WCOOP event. I was on button and tried one of my seldom blind steals with A7s when the short stack goes all in for about 1.5 more blinds than I raised which was 3BBs.

One of the two big stacks just calls his all-in, which no gives me incredible pot odds of like 6 to 1 to call, so of course I call.

The flop comes 10, Q, Q and the big stack checks. I just check because I have nothing and don't want to risk a bet if he is trapping.

The turn is a 6 and he bets 1/4 the pot. Here is where I go insane. I think that he must be making a move on the pot, and I think now is the time to make my own move so I go all-in which is half his remaining stack.

I am a very conservative player, and that is why this is so troubling to me. I played the best poker of my life maybe today in this satellite and I am close enough to almost see my seat, and then I do something so inexplicably dumb that it leaves me in a daze hours later.

I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but it is incredibly hard after you invest 3 hours to let yourself down like that. The only solace I can find is that the guy that knocked me out, who had to be the chip leader after this hand was knocked out 20th, the very next one after me. I don't take pleasure in others' demise, but that guy has to feel worse than I do.

I have lost other times when close, but I guess it is because this seems so stupid and without reason that makes this one worse to me. I guess I would rather it be a coinflip that I lost than a bone head play, or was it just bad timing.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Do you remember that first time you just blew up?

slap yourself for making a move on a pot with one player already all in, and you were not even close to winning that pot.

or just slap yourself
Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 PM

I believe your mistake was calling the rest of the bet pre-flop once someone else had called. It's hard to just throw money into someone elses pot but implied odds say you're gonna have to put Mr. Caller all-in during the hand. Next time suck it up and keep playing an A game.

(This may seem overly obvious but sometimes spelling it out is a good way to learn. Hope this helps.)
Old 08-28-2005, 04:51 PM

thanks to all. I was a total dumbass for a split second and it cost me $1000. lesson learned.