Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Need to find more ways too build a stack early

Im sure you guys have heard this a few thousand times before but im new here and searched the threads without finding an answer for my question so bear with me. Im a relatively new player(5 months in) and do pretty well. Ive won 4 online tournies and have had a few close calls. I mostly play the 5-10-20 dollar buy in tourneys and prefer tournies with 100-300 players. Im pretty much tight aggressive but i did start out as a total rock and probably dont play postion as well as i should.
My real problem is accumulating a stack. I follow a few of the superior players on Ub(my home site) and it seems as though they always can triple up fairly quickly( the first break) My goal is usually too double up but even then im pretty handcuffed as to the number of flops i can see as well as semi-bluffing opportunites. I really believe the key too winning MTT's is accumulating the stack necessary too loosen yur game up(ive done this a few times and i can play a stack very well(once a won a 2500 person freeroll after i tripled up on the 2nd hand). So basically im asking how do these players consistently double or triple up so fast? Im sure it has something to do with just seeing a ton of cheap flops with marginal hands(something i have a hard time doing) but some specific advice would be great. I'm very good at trapping when catchin on the flop so im not hopeless just need some pointers thanx.
Also what is the optimum way too play early in tournies i always thought ultra tight was right but im really starting too question whether you can win tournies with that "rock" strategy.