Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 04:24 AM

Default Keeping secrets

A good friend tells you a secret about two other friends, about one cheating on the other. The one being cheated on is also a really good friend and totally clueless.You are not supposed to know any of this. You don't know the cheater. Would you tell your good friend who is being cheated on? If they were in a serious relatinship, getting married or engaged would that make a difference?

edited: to make slightly less confusing
Old 12-15-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Keeping secrets

I'm so confused.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 AM

I tell the cheatee. Or get new friends who don't lead to such confusing situations.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:34 AM

i still don't follow it after the edit. guy A is cheating on guy B with guy B's girlfriend G? Do you tell B that A is cheating by sleeping with G?

No. Don't go out of your way to tell, but advise that you won't lie about it to cover it up, either.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:38 AM

If your girlfriend cheated on you, and one of your close friends (who somehow doesn't know your gf) finds out, would you want them to tell you? I would. I hope the situation I have outlined is same as OP
Old 12-15-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If your girlfriend cheated on you, and one of your close friends (who somehow doesn't know your gf) finds out, would you want them to tell you? I would. I hope the situation I have outlined is same as OP

[/ QUOTE ]

you are the close friend, and you were told this secret by another really good friend.

So choices are tell your friend his girl is cheating on him, and betray your good friends trust (the one who told you the secret), or don't tell him anything.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:00 AM

Is the friend that knows about it friends with the guy that's getting cheated on? If so, then he should already know. If one of my close friends is being cheated on, they get told.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:06 AM

I think it would depend on how I was told the secret. When someone is about to tell me a secret but says I can't tell anyone, I usually try to get them not to tell me at all cause I don't want to deal with this type of situation, and knowing some gossip doesn't really do much for me.

If they came out of the blue and said "x is cheating on y but you can't tell anyone" I would have no qualms about telling the cheatee because I never agreed to confidence anyways.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would depend on how I was told the secret. When someone is about to tell me a secret but says I can't tell anyone, I usually try to get them not to tell me at all cause I don't want to deal with this type of situation, and knowing some gossip doesn't really do much for me.

If they came out of the blue and said "x is cheating on y but you can't tell anyone" I would have no qualms about telling the cheatee because I never agreed to confidence anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. This is a good point. I assumed it was the second situation. If it's the first, then I'd try to convince the other friend to tell him.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:14 AM

"Would you tell your good friend who is being cheated on?"

Yes. If its a serious relationship then it could effect many years of their life (not to mention other problems like stds), this should be much more important to you than some bizarre notion of your own pride/honor.