Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 45s in a huge, multiway pot

Very first hand at table, so no reads. I converted this by hand, so sorry for any mistakes. I'll reply with my own self-critique later.

Interpoker ($2/$4) 8 handed.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $2.
<font color="red">UTG+2 raises</font>, 1 fold, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="red">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="red">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Flop (14SB): 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, two folds, <font color="red">UTG+2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn (13BB): 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG+2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River (15BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">UTG+2 bets, Hero raises, UTG+2 3-bets, Hero 4-bets, UTG+2 5-bets(caps?)</font>, Hero calls.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: 45s in a huge, multiway pot

I'm folding PF.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:20 PM

Nice suckout. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

From the pre-flop action, Villian looks to have AA or KK with a club.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Put in a few more raises if there was no cap.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 PM

1. This is a pre-flop fold in early position behind an EP raiser and no other callers. Cold-calling here is a huge error.

2. Flop raise is good.

3. I guess as played the turn is fine because you probably have to play for your 4 outs.

4. I guess I four bet the river because you'll probably be three-bet by the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] often enough it'll be profitable. Once you're five bet on the river I think you're winning this rarely.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:25 PM

This is how I would play it:
Preflop:
I fold, b/c it is for 2bets and there is no guarantee that the hand will be multi handed. Small suited connecters play best in multiway pots for cheap.

Flop:
I like the raise to get heads up. When he 3 bets I think either JJ for a set, or AA-QQ with a club or AK-AJ with a club, or a flopped flush with KQs+ (maybe too limited?)

Turn:
I call for FH draw.

River:
I call the 3 bet, and hope he doesnt have JJ.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:29 PM

guys, he posted. He probably shouldn't be posting in MP2 but once he does the preflop call is OK.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:31 PM

Yeah, I would have certainly folded preflop if I hadn't already posted a blind (my first mistake?). Since it was only one bet to me, I thought calling was in order. Would you guys still have folded? I actually really wanted to...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 PM

From the BB, are you comfortable defending 45s HU to a UTG raise? Because this situation is arguably worse. The MP2 post sucks unless the game is really juicy, but folding the first time isn't absurd.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I would have certainly folded preflop if I hadn't already posted a blind (my first mistake?). Since it was only one bet to me, I thought calling was in order. Would you guys still have folded? I actually really wanted to...

[/ QUOTE ]

First, considering meta-game, I don't see any problem with posting in MP2. You get 5 hands for 1SB instead of the standard 10 hands for 1.5SB (in blinds). Not really that much difference, and you avoid looking like a tightass.

First call is fine. You have position on the raiser, and will often end up acting last. When it's 2 back to you, you have to call again, expecting 7:1.