Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: On becoming a caddy.

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live, tworooks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Southern California. About 20 miles east of San Diego.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you live, tworooks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Southern California. About 20 miles east of San Diego.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a job on a fishing boat for the summer. Best job I ever had.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
public country clubs? [ QUOTE ]
Huh? Does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm just saying what I think I know, dunno what doesn't make sense. I guess my plan to not look like a complete dumbass by trying to act like I know what I'm talking about backfired.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:25 PM

you could be my chip caddy at the bellagio.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could be my chip caddy at the bellagio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reload a lot huh?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:50 PM

Since your golf knowledge is low, maybe you could work somewhere else on the course - in the pro shop, at the driving range, maintenance crew, etc.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM

If you really want to be a caddie and live in an area where this is possible, definately start playing the game.

You do not need to be good at the game to be a good caddie. It is more important to know the course and to also know your players. You need to know if the guy whos bag you're on can carry that bunker, or if he should lay-up. But you gotta play at least...You never know when someone is going to toss you a club and say 'you give it a shot' while on the course. It would be really bad if you had to say "huh?" when this happened. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And most imporantly, learn the greens you caddie on! I have a couple of local courses that because of the optical illusion, balls appear to break uphill. I watch them get read wrong over and over and over and each time the person just shakes their head after putting. Tell a guy the ball is going to break uphill and then watch it happen and that guy will request you for life.

It would be nice if you knew the rules of the game, but not as important since it is really not your business if the player knudges his ball or not and you don't want to appear to be a rules nazi that he/she would not be comfortable playing 'their' game in front of.

You gotta be a people person and actually enjoy bs'ing with the old guys/gals that are going to be the biggest tippers and will request your repeat services (but don't service the old chicks tooo much, that's just gross)...

(ps...I don't caddie. I just smoke lots of weed and golf a lot)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Hey, I caddied for 4 summers during HS at a country club near my house. At the time I started, I didn't know much about golf.

One thing you don't want to happen is for someone to ask your advice...and you don't have a clue...and just guess. e.g. Don't pretend to know the play of each green if you really don't.

The advice others have given is very good, esp. on knowing where their ball is, staying out of their line, etc. also make sure the clubs are always clean and readily available (e.g. when they chip onto the green and go to hand you their wedge, have the putter in your other hand ready to give to them.).

And, yes, be prepared to put up with a bunch of crap.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
public country clubs? [ QUOTE ]
Huh? Does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm just saying what I think I know, dunno what doesn't make sense. I guess my plan to not look like a complete dumbass by trying to act like I know what I'm talking about backfired.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Public Country Club" is an oxymoron. A country club is just that - a club, with members. Sometimes country clubs allow non-members to play at certain times. Usually, non-members need to be a guest of a member to play.

You really don't need to know much about golf to be a decent caddie right off the bat. But here's some things you must do:

1. Keep pace with your player. This is the most important thing. Never get too far behind your player so that he/she has to wait for you to get up to the next shot. Run if you have to.

2. Keep the clubs clean. Even though a little dirt or grass on their clubs will make no difference for 90% of the people you'll be caddying for, they don't want to look at a dirty club after they gave it to you. The Caddymaster will show you where you can get a wet towel. Once, I dropped my towel on like the 6th hole and couldn't find it, so I had to run back to the caddyshack to get another one. That sucked.

3. You have to be organized. Keep the clubs in the some slots of the bag they were in. Keep track of how many shots everyone in the group has taken.

4. Watch the ball(s). A huge part of your job will be searching for balls that your blind old fogey players won't be able to see. Many of them can't see a golf ball in the air if it's more than 20 yards away from them.

5. Fix every divot and ball mark, and rake the sand in the bunkers. The caddymaster or the other caddies will show you how to do that.

6. Compliment people on good shots, but don't overdo it. Say "nice shot" or "nice putt" or whatever if they hit a good one. But sometimes, especially if they're a decent player, they know they hit a mediocre shot and some donkey says "oooohhh nice one" just because they got the ball in the air. Good players HATE that.

That's all I can think of right now. Caddying is a good job, but it's not for everyone. I'll be honest, I hated caddying. I did it for one summer. The members were mostly nice people, and the money was good, but I just can't stand being told what to do constantly. I have a problem with authority. But if you can handle being someone's bitch, it's one of the best jobs there is.