Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Flop a straight, decide to slowplay

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Current Pot: 6.50 BB

SB seems to be one of the few people who knows how to fold in .25/.50, so I decide to slowplay my straight. Do you think it is worth it to slowplay (I only have about 40 hands of this player, not too much info)? If so, do I give it up on the turn?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Flop a straight, decide to slowplay

Slowplaying at this level is almost never a good idea at hits level. Get the bets in while you can.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:47 PM

This pot isn't worth taking down with your large hand. If you can get a few more bets in there, its profitable since you risk losing only 4sb a small small percent of the time. It is true that its almost never a good idea to slowplay, but I think this is a situation where it is.

EDIT: I see you also asked what to do on the turn. Bet it out, a c/r would most definitely force a timid SB out or make the button check/fold the river with a weak holding.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:48 PM

They'll probably call your raises in this rag flop anyway.

Build a pot, dont slow play.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 PM

I like the slow play on the flop, perfect position for it really, but on the turn, I think a raise is more appropriate. Get people still drawing on the turn. People that miss their draw on the river may have paid you on the turn but never will pay you on the river. Raise the turn.

Vern

Standard Disclaimer, I am by no means an expert at any of this.

Edit: Oh and muck this pre-flop
Old 03-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Default results

clarification - I was in the BB, so I got the flop for free- of course I would have mucked it preflop otherwise

My slowplay on the turn gave him a cheap card to hit a boat on the river (a 9 came, he showed a 6). I was sort of disappointed with how I played this hand. Thanks for the input
Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 PM

I would love a flop bet here. button could raise it and trap the field for you. People will still hang on to their overs, or gutshots here if you bet out, and again on the flop once they have money in (should button raise).
Old 03-05-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SB seems to be one of the few people who knows how to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe that your opponents will call, then you should be betting &amp; raising as much as possible. You slowplay a monster when you believe that raising will be lower EV becasue opponents will fold. That's not the only required condition to slowplay, but its the one in play here.

I'd raise. Draws can still hurt you, and smooth calling is breakeven at best. If you raise, you might even get action from a worse hand.