Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Relaxing with a good book over the Holiday???

I am looking for a few good books to read over my Holiday Break from College. I want books that are literature not "How To" books, but it would be a bonus if poker was a theme.
I just finished a semester with the following classes: Accounting, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Business Statistics, and Business Calculus. I made 4 As and 1 B.
So believe me when I say I do not want to see formulas or statistics over my break. Anyone have any suggestions for good "Sit down in the Recliner and just read" books???

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Relaxing with a good book over the Holiday???

Positively 5th Street by James McManus and Poker Nation are both excellent reads.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:19 PM

Last Man Standing or just about any other David Baldacci book. Or did you only want poker related books?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:21 PM

Any would be good, but a poker them would be nice.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 02:32 AM

Nonfiction, but literature about poker. In order read:
Alvarez, A., "The Biggest Game in Town"
Holden, T., "Big Deal"
McManus, J., "Positively Fifth Street"
Old 12-09-2004, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Positively 5th Street by James McManus and Poker Nation are both excellent reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

5th Street yes, Poker Nation no. Just read it, barely. The only thing that kept me going was that it was sort of about poker. It was mostly a rambling memoir about self-centered, uninteresting 20-somethings who manage to avoid responsibility by playing poker, cheating, and doing drugs. The cardinal sin in that desciption is uninteresting. The author and his friends are without insight or humor. I would have settled for one or the other.

I have a library that consists of any book, fiction or nonfiction, that involves poker and is at least average. I've even kept Phil's book. But Poker Nation is going bye-bye.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:36 AM

Yep, I don't think you can do much better for a poker-themed book than "Positively Fifth Street." "Breaking Vegas" is a pretty good read for blackjack, albeit sensationalized. Any Ken Uston book has great (and true) blackjack stories as well.
And then there's "Howling Mad" by Peter David. A werewolf bites a wolf who then turns into a man during full moons. A nice way to kill a few hours. I also don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed "Sandman: Dream Country." The Shakespeare story won some rare award, and the "Dream of a 1000 Cats" is sure to stay with any animal lover for the rest of their lives. Check out the amazon reviews if you doubt me.

Above all else, The Little Prince is must-reading for those who haven't done so. Don't read the newer, blue-cover translated version. It just doesn't read right like the previous version does. I really doubt few books short of the Bible have affected so many people as The Little Prince has done. It helps to remind what is important in life, and reminds why one particular rose is different from 1000 identical-looking roses. And when you look up at the stars at night, it will be a mean trick I'll have played on you....
Old 12-09-2004, 11:14 AM

Trust me, you will like Bringing Down the House if you like blackjack at all. Fun book.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:34 PM

Has only been mentioned once...."Biggest Game in Town" by Alvarez is now rereleased, and is easier to find. It's by far the best written story on Poker.

Warning 30-40% of "Positively 5th St." is about the Benny Binion murder trial. If you want to focus on Poker, then this will drive you nuts.

Poker Nation was a favorite of mine for a great overview of poker, but I did read it very early in my poker learning curve. So the initial reviewer may have a point about it centering around some 25 yr olds antics, but I found it funny and interesting.

Biggest Game In Town is first on my list.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:11 AM

If you have not read The Da Vinci Code it is a good read, but it is a mystery and has nothing to do about poker or gambling. I also enjoy reading John Grisham novels. Good job on your grades!