Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Relaxing with a good book over the Holiday???

Holden's "Big Deal" is a wonderful book that doesn't get mentioned often. Nice call.

And for the record, I thought "Poker Nation" was a fun read.

Has anyone read "Shut Up and Deal" by Jesse May? I read it a couple years ago and seem to remember it was OK.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:04 PM

Non-poker:
Ballad of the Whiskey Robber, the true story of a bank robbing hockey goaltender in post-Communist Hungary.

From Amazon "Attila Ambrus was a gentleman thief, a sort of Cary Grant--if only Grant came from Transylvania, was a terrible professional hockey goalkeeper, and preferred women in leopard-skin hot pants."

Poker:
Poker: Bets, Bluffs, and Bad Beats, more of a coffee table book than anything, but still an A. Alvarez work that I think deserves more attention.

Myself, I positively hated Positively Fifth Street. McManus has a romantic view of poker and all the supposed hard cases that surround it that I just don't subscribe to. His "you're disrespecting the game" comment in the 2004 WSOP was no surprise to me after reading this book.

Martin
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM

IMO (and the opinion of everyone I know who has read both... about 12 people) Angels and Demons (also by Brown) is better than the Da Vinci Code.

The Alienist by Carr is also very good. It's a ficitonal account of the first efforts to profile and catch a serial killer.

I was also not the biggest fan of Positively Fifth Street. The Binion trial just didn't catch my interest. Enjoyed The Biggest Game in Town much more.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:39 PM

Amarillo slim in a world full of fat people, King of a small world by rick bennet, two great ones for someone who loves a winning edge @ gambling : bringing down the house ( as previously mentoned) and maybe my favorite American roullette
Old 12-10-2004, 04:14 PM

I agree - Angels & Demons was a more interesting read than Da Vinci (I enjoyed both).

If you want to read Fifth Street as a poker novel - just page through the murder trial parts. It is structured as two shorter novels intercut, so skipping the pages will not affect the 2000 WSOP story.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have not read The Da Vinci Code it is a good read, but it is a mystery and has nothing to do about poker or gambling. I also enjoy reading John Grisham novels. Good job on your grades!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read the Da Vinci Code, I thought it was great, I finished it in 2 days. I live in Mississippi where John Grisham is from, and I have Autographed 1st Editions of each book(except A Time To Kill). For anyone interested in a Grisham Autographed 1st Edition you can order them from Ye Olde Book Shoppe in Hattiesburg, MS #(601)264-1919 And thank you for the good job on the grades comment. As you can see from the first Post I did do good; and for obvious reasons do not want to see a statistic over my break.

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I am writing them down and going to browse Books A Million tonight.

Living, Learning, and Laughing.
Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]