Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Hope you didn\'t do it (400)

Yeah no kidding.. this guy hasn't been back since he made that comment.

Love the people who see a stock over $200 and think too high, but if it split 4-1 and was $50 it would be a bargain, lol.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:45 AM

hahahaha....i totally agree....i just left a post over in the other google forum....people don't seem to understand the power of future earnings on a stock/ understand that the price of a stock is totally arbitary....one day they'll understand
Old 11-22-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people don't seem to understand the power of future earnings on a stock/ understand that the price of a stock is totally arbitary

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm a people who doesn't understand your comment. which part are you saying is true....the 'earnings' part or the 'arbitrary' part?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 PM

i was saying that google isn't a short sell b/c of its EPS will continue to grow..and on the stock price, i do not think i said that very clearly...essentially, i thought people were thinking google was a good short b/c the stock price is so high, but obviously, it doesn't matter what the stock price is...it isn't overvauled simply b/c its a $400 stock...the stock price is arbitrary; if they split 4-1 for example, as someone previously mentioned, it seems as though a lot of people would think its not overvalued, which is of course totally ridiculous...
something else that i found very interesting..i was flying home yesterday so i was re-reading a section in jim cramers book, real money...the following can be found on page 275: "never short because of valuation. never short because you think the stock's too expensive. expensive stocks have a way of getting more expensive. i don't care what p/e qualcomm sells for, i don't care whether you think yahoo or google is absurdly valued. it is irrelevant that some stock that trades at $50 and has no earnings. you must never, ever try to call an irrational top solely based on multiples of sales earnings. there will always be some mutual fund out there that will keep the ball in the air and crush you with its buying. michael steinhardt, my wife's guru, taught this basic point to her, but he repeatedly violated it himself. he lost oodles of money shorting overvalued stocks."

and this is coming from a man, as most of you know, is considered one the best traders in the world....and if anyone hasn't read his book, real money, you need to get up off your ass and get it...it will knock your socks off
Old 11-23-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

something else that i found very interesting..i was flying home yesterday so i was re-reading a section in jim cramers book, real money...the following can be found on page 275: "never short because of valuation. never short because you think the stock's too expensive. expensive stocks have a way of getting more expensive. i don't care what p/e qualcomm sells for, i don't care whether you think yahoo or google is absurdly valued. it is irrelevant that some stock that trades at $50 and has no earnings. you must never, ever try to call an irrational top solely based on multiples of sales earnings. there will always be some mutual fund out there that will keep the ball in the air and crush you with its buying. michael steinhardt, my wife's guru, taught this basic point to her, but he repeatedly violated it himself. he lost oodles of money shorting overvalued stocks."

and this is coming from a man, as most of you know, is considered one the best traders in the world....and if anyone hasn't read his book, real money, you need to get up off your ass and get it...it will knock your socks off

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people consider Cramer not as a good "trader", but instead an ethically challenged individual who (allegedly) performed many borderline illegal "pump and dump" trades using CNBC as his tout network.

But he's right on in this quote. No one can call the top of an irrational valuation. And you shouldn't short good companies at cheap valuations. So I wonder what Cramer was thinking when he recommended a short on Berkshire Hathaway at $48,000?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Short Sell Google?

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking of shorting Google for all of the obvious reasons.

With a not so obvious reason that Microsoft's new OS will have a VERY similar product built-in.

My only fear is that there has been a ton of insider selling, and a ton of shorting already, which may have the price DEPRESSED??????

Any comments, ideas, suggestions??

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I understand, many of the top people in the industry want to work for Google.

That's not the type of company I want to bet against.

IMO (and Lord knows I've been wrong before) Google has a better chance of going to 500 than 300.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I wonder what Cramer was thinking when he recommended a short on Berkshire Hathaway at $48,000?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he only shorted 3 shares.