Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 03:06 AM

Default low pp on paired flop

What's the plan?

Cryptologic 2.00/4.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.00 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero
Old 12-10-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Re: low pp on paired flop

There are only five cards out that beat us, and any pocket pairs. So I would bet out, hoping everyone folds. I might be weak, ,but if I get a call, I lean towards check/folding the turn.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:30 AM

This is a situation that puzzles me all of the time. I always wonder if someone has a King out there giving them a higher 2 pair. I would open a bet on the flop and if reraised then fold.

---I'm new give me a break. I make more mistakes than everyone else.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:44 AM

You have the best hand the vast majority of time here. Checkraise the flop. If SB beats you to it, then you can fold for free. Otherwise, I checkraise and fold to a 3-bet. If he/they just call then I bet the turn and fold to a raise.

The best action for you on this flop is CO bets, SB calls, and you check-raise. This will appear very strong to the villians as you are checkraising in a protected pot. Thus, you turn bet will have huge fold equity, which is great because they will have the odds to draw on the turn with overcards to your 4s but don't know it. Also, because your CR will be viewed as strong you can fold if either of them play back at you.

It gets trickier if CO bets and the SB folds and you CR the CO. Now, it appears that you could be making a play and he might fire back with Ace hi or worse. Still, it's probably a good idea to fold if he 3-bets the flop or raises the turn unless you read him as over-aggro.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:49 AM

i bet, CO may well raise without a K here and push SB out.

then i call and bet-fold the turn. If the opponent is a thinker this line will scramble their circuits (why not c/r the 7, does he have a K, why did he stop and go...), if the opponent isn't they are likely to raise AA, a 7 or call the turn and check behind the river.

crazy line?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:54 AM

No read?

Chance of SB folding a better hand(King or 7) is pretty dam low so if he calls i may assume he's got a bit of it and we're behind.

If Sb folds, Its wheter i think the raiser has a king or PP. Assuming his range is wide he's fairly likly to hold them(AK/KQ/KJ/KT/K9,AA-99).

Hmm so after putting him on a range you can C/f(If sb calls-because we assume we're behind him or the better), C/C if sb folds then bet fold turn(Raise wont bluff raise turn IMO, and SB gone improves our chances).

However if he freezes up and calls down with KJ or something... Would suck.

Although without a read i guess C/F isnt a bad line.

So C/F if sb calls, C/C if sb folds or just C/f.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 AM

I just wonder if he'll raise with something we beat. If he does raise Bet/Fold may make him call down and we'll loose anyhow(OOP).

Also, SB won't fold if he has a piece of the board so folding him is either easy... Or wont happen(So we don't need it raised for him to fold IMO).

I didn't think of a Check-Raise line, I guess we could C/r the flop and fold to a 3bet or C/r and bet turn folding to a raise.

Only thing is, Will KJ say call us down?
Old 12-10-2005, 10:07 AM

Where are your reads
Assuming no reads and avg 2/4 players, I think betting is the worst option as the pot is small but these sort of players will call with a wide variety of hands. I like spydog's C-R (he does a nice analysis). As 2/4 is not too agressive I don't think you will be played back by a A-high or something but only from a better hand so you can safely fold.
Still I would check-fold but I'm not insisting on that play too much.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a situation that puzzles me all of the time. I always wonder if someone has a King out there giving them a higher 2 pair. I would open a bet on the flop and if reraised then fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This plan isn't all that bad. We really don't know where we stand, and it is hard to figure it out. Unfortunately, if we bet and get raised, we could still have the best hand, but just not know it. Often will CO will raise with his A high or possibly a flush draw just because he raised preflop.

I kinda like betting the flop, and if raised by CO, call, then bet/fold the turn. Another possible option is check raising the flop, but I am unsure about that also.

I think this situation is pretty tricky, and think reads would help a lot.