Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2005, 07:21 PM

Default I went back to my first day playing (long)

'Know when to fold 'em' was like my first ever lesson. Agressiveness came later but in the beginning playing tight was certainly enough to make me a winner at 3/6 and in home games.

Yesterday though, I forgot every lesson since my first. I play a lot of poker, I read a lot about poker, I spend a lot of time on 2+2, and I yet made a mistake yesterday.

There was a hand where the player to my immediate left bet out on a flop of A 4 6 rainbow into a pot that was $94 preflop at 3/6. The player to his immediate left called. Folded to me with 77. I know these two players and I knew I was beat. I swear to you this isn't even one of those times where you're 90% sure but have to call down anyways, I knew I was beat and so I mucked my hand.

Then immmmediately after my head starts spinning about the odds this pot was laying me. Right when the second guy called I said $101 = ~34 SB in my head. Yet I fold when it's to me. I don't think I'm expecting a response, I ust wanted to post this because it pissed me off more than anything I think. I don't mind suckouts and I don't mind losses, but I just wasn't thinking for a second and it really shook me up. For a second I was one of those 'brilliant' low limit players that make a 'brilliant' fold on the river when they veritably have to call with any two cards. What happens if I do something retarded in a 1-2 pot game or NL game that I've also played?

The turn was a 7, and river A and I tipped the dealer for teaching me that lesson. AJ beat QQ for the pot and I took a walk. Hopefully this experience keeps me alert next time, and isn't an indication of what's to come.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: I went back to my first day playing (long)

It's too bad you had to learn this lesson only after the pot would have been yours. Had the 7 not come that time you would probably pat yourself on the back for such a nice laydown. In retrospect it shouldn't matter.
Human nature is funny.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:13 AM

Bad fold. Don't do that again.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:58 PM

It's a bad fold, but not horrible. You had the odds, but overall, your equity was really low. In folding, you cost yourself a couple of Sklansky bucks. Try not to be overly results oriented on this one. Plus, you leanred a lesson which should repay the mistake over time.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:54 PM

Shite happens. Don't lose any sleep over it. Remember it, but move on. We have all done things like this and worse.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:10 PM

This is normal. When you play live, you have to concentrate to know how much money is in the pot. Better luck next time.

All the best,
Snowball
Old 07-02-2005, 10:53 PM

Selective memory. I'll bet you never remember the times you did the WRONG thing, and then raked in the pot -- do you? Nobodys prefect.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Had the 7 not come that time you would probably pat yourself on the back for such a nice laydown.
Human nature is funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Selective memory. I'll bet you never remember the times you did the WRONG thing, and then raked in the pot -- do you? Nobodys prefect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah.. "nobodys prefect".
I really thought about not including the last paragraph of my story because this wasn't a results oriented issue. I knew it was a mistake before the 7 was turned, and the fact that i would've won just helped me remember not to screw up again. Thanks for the other responses tho