Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Expected ROI for O8 11s SNG

Thanks Slim for your response.
I play mostly B&M NL tourney, 0/8 tourney(mostly $200-500 level) and 0/8 ring games. I play more NL because there's more money to be made there. I have done very well in 0/8 tourneys and when I feel like making some easy money, I play 0/8 ring games.
I do play some online MTT NL tourneys on Stars as well as 08 MTT.
The structure of the Party o8 SNG limit tourneys is horrible so to win with this structure you need to play well and have a table of mostly bad players (who mostly don't know they're bad), this is present at 11s, it is much less prevalent at 33s. There is a big school of fish playing the 11s.
I think playing 08 SNG at the $11 has less variance than NL.
My goal is to grind out $10,000 in profit online in the next 12 months and I think this maybe the easiest lowest risk way to do it. I'll update you on my progress.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Expected ROI for O8 11s SNG

thread on SD per tournament

I wasn't clear last time when I was talking about variance in the different games, and I probably overstated the effect. My opinion is Party-structure O8 SNG's will have a higher varaince than NLHE for two reasons:

1) You will win more. You will have more 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes because the play is so bad and that will lead to a slightly higher mathematical SD. You won't care because you'll be winning more.

2) Your 1st/2nd/3rd distribution will be different because you'll be able to exploit the bubble even more effectively than in NLHE because the play is so bad. Most NLHE players assume a fairly flat 1/2/3 distribution over time, but I doubt this holds true in O8, where if a good player does hit a big hand at the right time, it's a free pass to a win.

I was probably wrong in suggesting building bankroll with NLHE because of the lower variance. If you're playing $200-500 live tournaments, you probably have the bankroll to handle the 33's or 109's. Of course, I'm talking out of my ass not having payed [any O8 above the 11's or 0.5/1 ring. I'm just projecting my NLHE progession onto O8.