Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Sins of Omission vs Commission

Simple for you, maybe. Non-controversial, no.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Link to Singer Article

Peter Singer
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Link to Singer Article

I don't think Andy Fox should read your link. We've caused him enough trouble already.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know that if you give someone $1000, ten children in Africa do not die. You choose not to. They die. Sin of ommission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a sin at all unless they are your children or you have undertaken responsibility for them somehow.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know that if you give someone $1000, ten children in Africa do not die. You choose not to. They die. Sin of ommission.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a sin at all unless they are your children or you have undertaken responsibility for them somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is absolute hogwash. you can't not be held responsible for something because you deny responsibility for it. Or because you deny obligation. If the US and other countries continued to deny obligation to stop Hitler's onslaught of the Jews, what would happen then? It would have been ok to let them die? I think not.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is absolute hogwash. you can't not be held responsible for something because you deny responsibility for it. Or because you deny obligation. If the US and other countries continued to deny obligation to stop Hitler's onslaught of the Jews, what would happen then? It would have been ok to let them die? I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems generally that so called, "sins of omission" presuppose an obligation to help others.

Why are we obligated to help others, especially those we do not know? Is it because their lives are special and they deserve to live? If so, isn't my life equally as special and isn't my life reason enough for me to live????
Old 08-19-2005, 12:20 AM

"Not a sin at all unless they are your children or you have undertaken responsibility for them somehow."

I'm not saying it is a sin either. Nor am I saying it isn't. I'm just juggling other people's axioms.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Link to Singer Article

I read it. So there.

From the link:

"An ethical life is one in which we identify ourselves with other, larger, goals, thereby giving meaning to our lives. . . . An ethical approach to life does not forbid having fun or enjoying food and wine; but it changes our sense of priorities."

Nowhere does it say that if I enjoy food and wine I am the equivalent of Hitler.

And keep causing me trouble. I won over $5,000 at the card tables my last two sessions, and the troubles you have caused me are certainly partly responsible. I'm not going to declare it on my taxes and I will only give part to charity. Do you think your having made me a better poker player than I would otherwise have been, without also instructing or advising me on using my winnings in a morally responsible fashion, makes you responsible for my derelictions or equivalent to Hitler?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 AM

no you caused people to die so they are both the same moraly
but thats just my opinion
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DS --
But I don't claim that. I make the simple, non controversial claim that those who don't do the above (without legitimately feeling that their temporary wealth retention will eventually do even more good), are equivalent to Hitler.

[/ QUOTE ]

"simple, non controversial claim "

I can't help it but I am LOL.

PairTheBoard