Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Pretty Silly....

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Toro, you're a better player than that!

[/ QUOTE ]

If only I was in this spot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 01:41 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Pretty Silly....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Toro, you're a better player than that!

[/ QUOTE ]

If only I was in this spot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, you know what though? We all make mistakes. Like when I was chip-leader in the Foxwoods Multi-Play event and called a pre-flop raise with A/J offsuit.

The flop was Jack-high and my opponent bet 200, I popped it up to 600 and he pushed all-in. Everything in my head screamed to fold, he had Q/Q or K/K, get out. But I didn't listen to myself and he tossed over J/J for trips.

I doubled him up and was back to my original starting chips. Caught him bluffing when I had 9/9 and doubled through, but I was so short-stacked at that point it didn't matter. And then my A/Q ran into 6/6 and I was done.

You can always go back and beat yourself up over mistakes. I guess you just learn from them and move on. You realize you made a mistake, and I think you'll learn from it and avoid it in the future.

Looking forward to the June 2+2 event, can't wait to take another stab at you guys. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Silly?

ugh. you know that, but ugh. Not that I'm laying JJ down to often with 30BB stack, but you're not going to get much value open pushing.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:29 PM

I think this play is horrible with your stack size. I see it way too often with hands like 88-QQ's. The likelyhood of someone waking up with a big pair is not likely but when they do you could be done.

You risk your whole tourny with 30x BB to pick up 3 BB's as you generally don't get called by hands you beat or possibly AK if you're lucky.

IMO- when I see players do this its because they don't trust their reads and post flop ability so they see a pair and dimiss any further decisions.

Similar thing happened to me in a tourny yesterday when big stack pushes JJ's UTG and I woke up with KK's behind him and someone behind me had AA's. In that instance folding JJ's would have been a very easy laydown if he had just made a standard open raise.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
I think this play is horrible with your stack size. I see it way too often with hands like 88-QQ's. The likelyhood of someone waking up with a big pair is not likely but when they do you could be done.

You risk your whole tourny with 30x BB to pick up 3 BB's as you generally don't get called by hands you beat or possibly AK if you're lucky.

IMO- when I see players do this its because they don't trust their reads and post flop ability so they see a pair and dimiss any further decisions.

Similar thing happened to me in a tourny yesterday when big stack pushes JJ's UTG and I woke up with KK's behind him and someone behind me had AA's. In that instance folding JJ's would have been a very easy laydown if he had just made a standard open raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would figure Toro to be on a hand like 9/9 or 10/10 where he's looking to just pickup the blinds/antes without any callers, due to overcard potential.

So with Q/Q or above I'm likely calling his all-in raise, with A/K or J/J I'm considering it, but would probably lay down to his large raise.