Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 12-19-2005, 05:02 PM

Default Rookie of the Year: John Gale

What an incredible year this guy had, especially considering the PCA win appears to have been his first-ever live tourney cash. He came ridiculously close to winning the 5K PL WSOP bracelet, too.

I'm sure someone is just dying to comment that he's a lucky LAG who plays every tournament, but I think Gale definitely has the stuff it takes to win these events. He's also an extremely affable guy.

Definitely, Rookie of The Year.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Rookie of the Year: John Gale

Don't know why anyone would say he was a lucky LAG. He seemed to be to play a very aggressive, solid game. He seems like an extremely good guy too.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM

He is a lucky LAG who plays every tournament.

Also, congrats to him for this finish...

19-Sep-05 England £ 50 No Limit Hold'em
Fahrenheit Festival, Southend-on-Sea 7th £ 300
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 PM

didn't he get bad beated for ton of chips heads up in the 5k PL HE. Should have WSOP title to his name
Old 12-19-2005, 05:57 PM

I've heard a lot of good things about the dude. Seems to enjoy playing the game for the game's sake, and has very good card/people sense.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:58 PM

not to take anything away from a guy regarding skill, BUT

what part of his success do you think is due solely to the fact that he won a WPT, thus had a ton of extra poker money to go buy into a crazy # of tournaments and play LAG in?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not to take anything away from a guy regarding skill, BUT

what part of his success do you think is due solely to the fact that he won a WPT, thus had a ton of extra poker money to go buy into a crazy # of tournaments and play LAG in?

[/ QUOTE ]

He sucks because he won a big tournament. Nice.

I get what you mean, but being able to not care about money doesn't take away from his skill. It can just ADD to the respect some low stakes people should get if they don't care about the money at stake.

Gale definitely took some terrible beats heads up for a WSOP bracelet and deserved it much more than his opponent.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:01 PM

I posted this before, but I think it's amazing that in his first three big buy in live tourneys he finished Last / First / Last.

I spent a fair amount of time talking to him away from the tables at Atlantis last year and he is definitely a good guy.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if that's what it takes to be a success on the circuit in this day and age, I'd say ALL of it "is due solely to the fact the he won a WPT." How else would he have quit his job, been able to go out there and be all LAGy and stuff.

I'm not really sure what you're asking Daryn. Plenty of people manage to propel their poker careers by hitting a sick overlay on an early attempt, which enables them to play fearlessly and win more high-profile tournaments.

My point was simply that Gale did it more impressively than most.

As for Sponger making fun of him for playing a 50-lb. buyin tournament, I think if anything it reflects positively on his genuine passion for NL tournaments. Gale is definintely one of the good guys in this movie.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 PM

shaniac,

Re: the average full-time touring pro (ignore backing) these days, a few questions:

1) How many events do they go to? One major a month? More, less?

2) How many tourneys will they generally play per event?

3) What is the average yearly outlay in tourney buyins and travel expenses?

4) What percentage of the tourney pros play primarily tournies and don't really play cash games much?

I am referring specifically to the guys who aren't the superstar players, but the name players who seem to be at most tourneys. So, not the Negreanu/Ivey/Brunson types and not the wannabes like that Schleger guy, but the ones in the middle.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to spend $15-25k/month on buyins and expenses these days.