Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 03-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: My 5 biggest downswings are...

From these figures it looks like PLO is the swingiest game around, with the highest SD in terms of BB.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you also learn something that will book you steady wins with less variance it will make your limit hold'em game that much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, this is a very good advice for me. Last weeks I started to look at NL a little bit more serious. Problems are that in most NL$100 ($1/2) I have found there are so many bad players and then u have the same problem as when u paly bad players in limit, u cant do anything tricky because they dont understand and u cant pretend they are thinking at a higher level, making the game pretty boring and I dont learn fast enough.

Where can I play against decent players for decent money? Should I start with smaller buyin in bigger games 2 meet better guys or are there any site? I have played at Victor Chander (bad players) and Party Poker (bad players), I also played a little at UB, and they seemed more decent. Or do u think there is any faster way learning then playing decent players. (I have Ciaffone and Cloutiers books and yes, Ciaffones is better... read brunson 2, but his style is pretty impossible against people calling half their stack with toppair, bad kicker)
Old 03-22-2005, 06:12 AM

Not if u make 10BB/hour
Old 03-22-2005, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And I dont think u are, if u are on a brutal downswing u play worse, people get a little bit more tricky, seeing u lose at the table, and u get a little more weak from losing all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you need to be able to leave the table if your image suffers bad. Something that is extremely hard for competitive souls to do.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And you need to be able to leave the table if your image suffers bad. Something that is extremely hard for competitive souls to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. Its not an underestimation saying I could have bought my wife a trip to Paris instead of reloading at tables where Im playing weak and noone got any respect for me.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:31 AM

yes PLO is up there as well which is why it's such a profitable game. It's quite common in that game to see monstrous amounts of money going in when someone has AAxx and other people have position and good hands like 9TJQ double suited. Basically you're usually not more than a 2:1 favorite, so their calls are correct if they play well pst flop.

A natural thing for someone who plays limit hold'em is to learn NL holdem. I think the game you should learn would depend on the region you live in. Steve Zotolow has a good article on cardplayer about learning different games and it's also in super system 2.