Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Just as short handed play helps full ring...

So, too, does Heads up play help my short handed game.

Last night I was having problems getting into a rhythm, and I was really loose, and I was really passive, and I generally sucked in every catagory.

Everybody at that table dispersed except me and some other dude, and we played heads up for about 15 minutes. It was great, as he played every single hand the entire time, and only folded one out of six or so times before the river.

Anyway, long story short, I got disconnected, logged back on, and found another 6 handed table. I felt like I was running on autopilot for the rest of the night.

Has anybody noticed this phenomenon, or is it just me?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Just as short handed play helps full ring...

[ QUOTE ]
So, too, does Heads up play help my short handed game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. The rest I think you're imagining more or less. Variance can make you see things that are there.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:12 AM

Yeah, I was catching cards. It's easy to fall into the trap of, "Wow, I'm winning, so I must be playing good."

I do want to start playing more HU though.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:51 AM

At small stakes, the rake HU is generally killer. If you want to play HU, you probably want to hit up the stars nanos. A little HU while you wait for a table to fill up isn't a big deal, but if you're wanting to challenge someone to a 50 BB freeze out or something, the rake will murder you.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At small stakes, the rake HU is generally killer. If you want to play HU, you probably want to hit up the stars nanos. A little HU while you wait for a table to fill up isn't a big deal, but if you're wanting to challenge someone to a 50 BB freeze out or something, the rake will murder you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy Birthday, bud. Do you think it's profitable at 5/10?
Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 AM

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Eh, 5/10 is the point where the rake finally starts to get better after really sucking for a while. I'd consider it, but I'd want to be assured of an extremely big edge over my opponent.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 AM

i like to "warm up" sometimes by playing a $5 limit HU tourney on stars. you get in lots of hands, only play .25 in rake, and if you do it often enough you'll see every kind of HU style. I still get run over a little by the total maniacs, but I haven't caught any cards vs them yet either.

with weak passives the cards tend not to matter as much, and I can flex a little before diving into the short cash games.

good times.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I hardly ever consider rake when making my playing decisions, and that's definitely something I've got to start thinking about.