Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 12-28-2005, 09:57 AM

Default An odd example of losing it..

I'm playing an STT online. We're 3 handed, so we've made the money. I'm chip leader with half chips in play. other two have a quarter each. I'm pretty sure I'm the best player at the table. Blinds are high enough to hurt the other two guys.

I get disconnected.

I'm gone maybe one or two minutes. When I get back, I'm down half my stack. The player to my left is down maybe a third of his. Player to my right has more than doubled his and says as i return "never had both players disconnect on me before".

As far a I can tell he stole every blind of mine, and a lot less from the other player.

I feel like he's basically stolen this tournament from me and proceed to have a go at him about it. He says it's normal and I get more and more annoyed- I mean, he couldn't wait a minute to see if we came back before stealing? Would he do the same in a live game?

Anyway, I go out when the same guy busts my KK with A10 (which is fine) but am suprised that I got so upset about this. I mean I know it happens a lot in MTTs when a player isnt there, but when the other two players are just disc I think its only fair to wait a moment before stealing their chips.

Do others think this is a reasonable issue to get upset about?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: An odd example of losing it..

Naw man, everyone gets disc'ed once in a while. All part of online poker.. just make sure you have a very secure connection to ensure this doesn't happen regularly.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:08 AM

I would be pissed that it happened, but frankly wouldn't expect any different.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but when the other two players are just disc I think its only fair to wait a moment before stealing their chips.

[/ QUOTE ] LOOLLOOLOLOLOLOLOOOLOLOLOL....umm, time to pounce and steal as much chips as possible. It's all fair. You gotta make up for the times you get disconnected by stealing others chips when they're disconnected.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do others think this is a reasonable issue to get upset about?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Why? Because there is NOTHING you could have done differently in this situation. People suck for the most part and poker brings out the worst in people, especially online.

You know you won the tourney in terms of who played best and who accumulated the most chips in the end. What happened next was something you couldn't have seen coming and couldn't do anything about once it happened.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:04 PM

Yep. Charge that sh!t to the game, son.

A true sportsman/gamesman would have waited, true. But someone seeking to get some chips to take down an STT wouldn't, and didn't.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:51 PM

this is slightly off topic, but i wouldnt wait. I take every advantage given to me, and i expect my opponents to do the same. Maybe im imbalanced, i dont know.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM

It's pretty clearly stated in the TOC that if you sit in to a tournament your hand will be check/folded if you get disconnected. Not quite sure how you felt that his play was in any way unfair if you agreed before hand on the rules.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM

Waiting is the right thing, and I do it myself...but only for a minute or two.

I guess if it happened a ton to me where I came back and most of my chips were gone, I'd have less patience for it in the future.

I'd be more pissed about my connection and consider getting a backup more than I would be pissed at my opponents.

We're all degenerates to some degree...that's why we play poker right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Take responsibility for your connection. The player is doing his job taking every advantage you offer.

You are responsible for all of your results.