Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Old 11-06-2005, 04:47 PM

Default Streib article

I think this article is brilliant and packed with information. I know Tysen from the bridge community and have seen some of the articles he has written for bridge. He let us know about this magazine over in a bridge forum. After seeing this, I felt I had to chime in and say watch out for this guy! If he writes as well for poker as he did for bridge, you guys are going to see some great work. Keep it up Tysen!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:06 AM

Default Re: Streib article

I agree. I think his work is excellent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I think his work is excellent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There appears to be a bug in the basic (cash game) solution. It doesn't agree with my solution, or the sample case which eastbay posted a few weeks ago.

- Andrew
Old 11-07-2005, 04:38 PM

There appears to be a bug in the basic (cash game) solution. It doesn't agree with my solution, or the sample case which eastbay posted a few weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct that the solutions are not exactly correct, but they are very close. The reason is that the method I was using to solve these problems can't deal with mixed strategies. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, so I don't have as powerful resources as I would like. So I did the best I could and came up with the closest approximation, which isn't too far off. For most people reading the article, it won't matter if a few hands are off a tiny bit.

Besides, the point of the article isn't the exact numbers, but rather to observe how the answers change as the circumstances change.

Tysen
Old 11-07-2005, 05:01 PM

You are correct that the solutions are not exactly correct, but they are very close. The reason is that the method I was using to solve these problems can't deal with mixed strategies. Unfortunately I'm not a programmer, so I don't have as powerful resources as I would like. So I did the best I could and came up with the closest approximation, which isn't too far off. For most people reading the article, it won't matter if a few hands are off a tiny bit.

It's pretty important, if you're going to present solutions to problems, that you properly state what problem you are solving. You didn't present a game theory optimal solution, so presenting it as such is a bit confusing. As far as how close the solutions are to the game theory optimal one, they look like they are off by quite a bit, especially for small stacks.

- Andrew
Old 11-07-2005, 05:44 PM

Besides, the point of the article isn't the exact numbers, but rather to observe how the answers change as the circumstances change.

I'd like to mention that I think it is a very good illustration of that.

- Andrew
Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't present a game theory optimal solution, so presenting it as such is a bit confusing.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry if you felt decieved. Unfortunately, working with a 1000-word limit per article has it's limitations. I describe the method I used (as well as its shortcomings) with more detail in next month's (Dec) article, where I expand this to a 3-player solution. I didn't describe it in detail here since:

1) People interested in the exact solutions probably have figured it out themselves
2) Most people probably don't care enough about the differences to hear it all spelled out

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to mention that I think it is a very good illustration of that.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I thank you for that... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2005, 08:23 PM

This was a terrific article. I've read all of the magazines thus far and yours is the only article I have printed out, so I could spend more time rereading and considering.

Very, very good stuff.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM

I wrote:

I went back and took a closer look at Streib's solution for non-mixed strategies, and the game theory optimal jam/fold solution, and part of the discrpency has to do with the fact that some key hands (63s, 53s, 43s) fall into and out of playability. Streib chose the higher stack sizes to define playability. His solution is correct for small stack sizes, but slowly diverges from the game theory optimal solution, At 10xBB the solution is only different by a half dozen hands or so.

- Andrew
Old 11-10-2005, 11:41 AM

I also liked this article a lot. But I think there is an area for possible improvement -- it could have gone above 10BB! From the solutions, it is obvious that a lot of hands should push with 10BB stacks. It stands to reason that a smaller, but still large, number of hands should push with (say) 15BB stacks. It would be helpful to have information on this.