Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Isolating a LAG.

VIllian is 32/22 after 200 hands. Post-flop, he is not very horrible though. Aggressive and tricky, but he can lay down a hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) converter

MP1 ($66.80)
MP2 ($124.93)
CO ($65.95)
Hero ($51.45)
SB ($34.75)
BB ($35.75)
UTG ($62.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls $4.75.

Flop: ($15.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, MP1 calls $10.

Turn: ($35.25) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($35.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $35.25

Comments on all streets appreciated. Anyone bet the turn or river?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Isolating a LAG.

If he slows down postflop, I check behind flop and see what turn is. If it's a A,K,or J I bet out, and if called check behind. Your line isn't terrible, it's just that it leaves the option of a big bluff by him, which you can't call, or letting him check down the best hand with like 72o. If he raises that many hands, I look for the turn card to help out. If it doesn't and he bets, I raise trying to show that I do have the AA or KK I represented before, and make him lay it down.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:02 PM

You understand your not winning this hand unless you bet the river, right?

Do you think your ace high is good?

I vote for bet the river.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM

Can you explain why you wanna isolate with AJo?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you explain why you wanna isolate with AJo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause he is likely to be raising with a far worse hand, that might be dominated. A) He might fold, which is fine. B) I donīt want to play this multiway.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:55 PM

I kind of like what you're trying to do here... this is a bad flop for a continuation bet, but it's worth firing at anyway.

Part of the problem with this "hammer" play is that you're risking so much to win so little. What I don't like about this play is that you're essentially risking $17 to win 7$ from Villain. This is of course mitigated by the fact that you probably have the best hand preflop and will hit the flop from time to time... While I don't think this is a bad play in terms of being a long term loser, I think you have to understand that plays like this will add a lot of volatility to your roll.

I don't think betting the river has any merit here at all, if you do take it down it's because you'll be "bluffing" with the best hand. He either missed some kind of straight draw and you have him outkicked or he's calling you after you showed weakness on the turn.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM

I like the isolation raise PF, but man I hate that flop. I'm probably checking behind on the flop, but would bet that turn K like I had one. If called on the turn, I would be done with the hand.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the isolation raise PF, but man I hate that flop. I'm probably checking behind on the flop, but would bet that turn K like I had one. If called on the turn, I would be done with the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not keep representing the AA-QQ I represented pre-flop?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cause he is likely to be raising with a far worse hand, that might be dominated. A) He might fold, which is fine. B) I donīt want to play this multiway.

[/ QUOTE ]

probably not far worse hands. i think you need to bet either the turn or the river...whichever is most in character for you. the turn would be good, since he might think 'AK'.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM

If you're going to do that and you decide to bet again, bet the turn. Definitely not the river after checking the turn.