Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Top pair and nut flush draw...Standard????

Sorry about the converter, bison isn't working for me.

$25 NL Texas Hold'em - Sunday, December 11, 19:55:48 EDT 2005
Table Table 66033 (6 max) (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 5
Seat 2: UTG ( $42.15 )
Seat 4: Villain( $26.11 )
Seat 1: Hero ( $52.98 )
Seat 3: SB ( $11.40 )
Seat 5: BB ( $25.15 )
SB posts small blind [$0.10].
BB posts big blind [$0.25].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ 5h Ah ]
Villain raises [$1].
Hero calls [$1].
SB folds.
BB folds.
** Dealing Flop ** [ As, 3h, Th ]
Villain checks.
Hero bets [$2].
Villain raises [$4].
Hero is all-In [$49.98]
Villain is all-In [$21.11]

Little history on villain. Has been paying me off on big turn and river overbets when I have nuts. I figured he either had ace with a weaker kicker, he would play any ace, or maybe two pair and wanted to take it down on the flop with the check-raise. Either way i figured i had too much of a draw/semi-made hand to play it any differently. What is your take on the play? Standard?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Top pair and nut flush draw...Standard????

[ QUOTE ]
Little history on villain. Has been paying me off on big turn and river overbets when I have nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I don't get it. Why are you pushing when you expect to have the worst hand, rather than calling the check/min-raise and just overbet push if/when you make a flush?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:04 PM

If hes paying on later streets, call here. Sometimes a passive line is the best, and this is it. If he wants to pay, let him. Wait till the turn if anything, and even then I might just call.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:07 PM

I figure if the flush hits he will fold...that was my rationale for playing the hand so hard
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure if the flush hits he will fold...that was my rationale for playing the hand so hard

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, so you're saying that he HASN'T been paying you off, so instead, you're just going to push all your money in because you have a draw, and won't pay you off when you hit?

That's awful logic. Call the raise and play poker.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 AM

Eh... he didn't say the guy paid people off when an obvious flush was hit. Even bad players tend to freeze up when there's a flush draw on the flop and the third heart hits on the turn/river.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said he was paying you off on the turn and river, but here you say he'll fold. This isn't a very good reason to get your money in drawing. If he's got a big ace, you still have outs and quite a few...if he has a set or something you are a significant dog.

I don't like the play, and your logic for doing it is horrible. The reason you normally make this play is because as long as they don't share whatever card you have that is paired, and you think they just have TP or an overpair, then you are about a coinflip. I don't think you are a coinflip here because I think he has 2 pair, and you share the ace, which means you are really only drawing to running 5's or the hearts.

You don't push on draws taking the worst of it because your opponents will fold if you hit...you FOLD on draws taking the worst of it because your opponents will fold if you hit. If you think this guy will pay off a flush, then call the minraise and spike a heart on the turn.