Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM

Default 100 NL - I\'m new to it...played it wrong?

I had AA in early position. Blinds are .50/1.00 and I made the standard table raise to 3 bucks. I got 2 callers. Flop comes K 9 2 (2 spades). The pot is about 10 and I lead for 7 bucks. The guy directly to my left raises me to 25 and the other caller folds. It's 18 more to me.

I don't have much of a read but I don't think he'd be doing this with a flush draw. I thought maybe AK or KQ and he's trying to see where he is in the hand.

Anyway, I call with the intention of pushing any non-spade on the turn. The turn is an off suit 6 and he insta-calls with 99 for a flopped set. Am I going broke on this regardless? Could/Should I have gotten away from it?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: 100 NL - I\'m new to it...played it wrong?

The push is bad.
Slow down after the checkraise. I think I'd check the turn and risk the flush draw. If he checks the turn then a river spade makes life hard, but if he pushes on the turn then it's clear he's representing a set. Remember, he's afraid of a spade too as he'll lose his action.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: 100 NL - I\'m new to it...played it wrong?

Raise more preflop, bet the whole pot on the flop, if raised you know he's got something because from EP, if you are a respected player, there are only so many hands you can have here. I'm probably folding to flop raise, but if I call I am definitely folding to a bet on any other street.