Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Absolute Poker Performance Problems

Does anyone else experience severe performance problems when playing at Absolute Poker?

I recently played this hand. You might wonder why I folded my set on the flop. I didn't - I raised - but the server didn't react since there was so much lag. Needless to say it made me really pissed!

I have a fast connection and a fast computer, so there really shouldn't be any problems, but every second hour or so Absolute Poker just becomes really slow (I don't have that problem with other sites). Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?

When I complained to the support they gave me the following advice, which sound a lot like bullshit:
[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the Firewall, I recommend that you have it to accept ports 6900-9000 and add our site to your secure sites, in the Antivirus application.

[/ QUOTE ]

I especially like the part "add our site to your secure sites, in the Antivirus application" which doesn't make any sense at all to me...

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB

UTG doesn't show.
SB has A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (flush, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins 8 BB.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Absolute Poker Performance Problems

My only gripe right is that the hand history is down!

every once in a while, I get a 4-5 second lag, but since I can only 3 table, it never really becomes a problem.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:27 PM

I just posted about this in another thread, but I think the freakout occurs if you play &gt;1 table. Or at least I've never had it happen with only one table going. When the issue occurs the logging process ho.exe that they launch for each table starts writing out tons and tons of data (way more than when it's in the normal state).

And it certainly has a way of happening at the worst times. I've all but given up on them but if I really want to work off some bottomless bonus I will only play one table from Absolute.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:31 PM

I play there using PC emulation on a MAC and don't have any site specific problems. Next time it happens, you may want to try a tracert on absolute.com (from the command line), and see if anything stands out. It's perfectly possible for there to be a problem on the net between you and absolute that's slowing you down. tracert will show you the times on the individual hops between you and them, and should give you an idea for where the delays are.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:46 PM

Actually I already tried that (or something similar). I constantly pinged their servers during an 1.5 hour session. The ping was at an steady 200 ms (which is somwhat slow but not terrible given that I'm oversees). It peaked at 315 ms but I didn't notice any performance problems during the peak. I did however get problems at another occation (when the ping was normal) so I'm pretty sure the connection isn't the problem.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:34 PM

I was having grief last night. I opened task manager and found a rouge app (AcroReader) hogging my CPU. Killed that and it was back to the normal slow AP not the times you out slow AP.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only gripe right is that the hand history is down!

every once in a while, I get a 4-5 second lag, but since I can only 3 table, it never really becomes a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive never had a problem getting HH. Sometimes it takes a
few minutes to process.