Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Pot-Limit Holdem Tournament strategy

Hi,

I have played Limit and No-Limit tournaments but never Pot-Limit and am about to enter one for the first time.

What is the strategic difference between Pot and No-Limit?

What I need is help with what not to do.
Things that work in NL that would be bad for you in Pot Limit.

Do I play extra tight or try to see more flops?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Pot-Limit Holdem Tournament strategy

there is more post-flop play because you can't always push someone out of a pot, so be prepared.

take note of the lack of antes. not only does it make blind stealing less important (although still important to some degree), it also gives you lower odds.

make sure not to bet yourself out of the pot. ie: don't create a huge pot if you just want to get to showdown to see if middle pair is good.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:45 PM

I'm no PLHE expert, but he's what I figue (consider with caution):

You're going to see more flops, so is every one else, so expand your range on villains.

AA-JJ go down in value because you can't protect them pf (not to say you don't want to get AA, just that it has less value than in NL).
Implied odds hands, suited aces, suited connectors, low pockets, go up in value.
You'll want to play position more than ever, and control the pot size as much as possible.
Also, don't slow play when you have a hand, you'll be costing yourself value.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:52 PM

"AA-JJ go down in value because you can't protect them pf (not to say you don't want to get AA, just that it has less value than in NL)."

I don't agree with this statement, and I only agree with the statement about speculative hands a little bit.

You can still raise plenty in pot limit, just like it was a no-limit table. The only thing is you can't open push your 6bb stack with aces preflop like you normally would in a NL tourney. You can still give people incorrect odds to draw to straights, flushes, backdoor two pair draws, etc.

It just seems likie a fundamental thing to me. Aces through jacks never go down in value unless there is a big multiway pot, which usually only happens early in the stage of a tourney (where you don't need to press your all in button nearly as much anyway. your normal raises will be fine.) or in limit hold 'em. Aces through jacks are still very powerful in LHE, but probably the most vulnerable there. In PL, i feel they're just as powerful as they are in NL.

Besides, how often do you overbet the pot to win with aces in no limit?

Perhaps my brain just isn't thinking clearly though, and i'm missing a reason of why you think big pairs go downin value.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing is you can't open push your 6bb stack

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the really big change. When playing in a PLHE tourny, you have to be more selective of your pushing hands on the short stack because you can't actually push (although you get an auto-SnG), so you have less FE. If someone with 6bb raises pot preflop, consider it to be a push.

Also, if this is low stakes, PLHE lessens the number of mistakes that your opponents will make because they're more likely to bet between half pot and pot [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 10-14-2005, 02:28 PM

Again, I'm no expert, I probably have less actual PLHE hands under my belt than the OP.

[ QUOTE ]
In PL, i feel [AA-JJ are] just as powerful as they are in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nevertheless, from a purely theoretical POV (the only POV I really have on PLHE), this seems off to me. I'm not sayng I'm open pushing Aces in NL, but I do try to widdle down the number of people seeing the flop to a manageble number, so I can have a good idea of the standing of my aces after the flop. Also, in NL I'm happy for the chance to get all the chips in the middle pf with my Aces if someone else has Kings or Queens.

QQ-JJ in EP is another example of a drop of value from PL to NL I think. Although you have a great hand, you would like to be able to punch in a nice raise to eliminate some Ax/Kx types, especially since you'll be playing OOP.

Again, just my .02. I probably should never have even replied to someone looking for Pot Limit help.... a good argument can be made that I should never reply to anyone looking for poker advice period. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While you can't push your stack if it's less than 6bb either can your opponents. So when you see a short stack make a pot-sized raise preflop is there a time when you look to take a flop and fold if you miss and they push? Or when they are that short should you also be committing yourself to call them regardless and is it better to just put them in preflop if this is the case?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While you can't push your stack if it's less than 6bb either can your opponents. So when you see a short stack make a pot-sized raise preflop is there a time when you look to take a flop and fold if you miss and they push? Or when they are that short should you also be committing yourself to call them regardless and is it better to just put them in preflop if this is the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in position and someone with less than 10bb pots it in front of you, you should probably repot/push to get others out. If you're OOP (ie, you limped or you're a blind), you should probably call and push any flop to see if you can squeeze out some EV. The more important thing to remember is that if a stack of <10bb (this limit's not set in stone, it's just easy to remember) pots it preflop, you should consider it to be a push.

You should not expect your opponents to do the same, and therefore should raise your raising ("pushing") requirements when you're short stacked.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:37 PM

Thank you for all your comments.
I'm sure it will come in handy.

I'll reply with my result.